Legal Road Trip: Nashville, Tenn.
Posted Sep 1, 2011 3:20 AM CDT
Tennessee State Capitol
Designed by architect William Strickland, the Tennessee Capitol building is a tribute to the people of Tennessee. In addition to housing both branches of the state legislature, the governor and other state offices, the Capitol contains a variety of exhibits, artwork and statues, including an original Clark Mills bronze of President Andrew Jackson on horseback.
Z. Alexander Looby Library and Community Center
Named for the noted attorney and civil rights activist, the library and community center were built to honor his contributions to Nashville. Looby, a native of Antigua, helped found Kent College of Law, Nashville’s second law school admitting blacks. Looby also was instrumental in helping to successfully defend 23 African-Americans accused of murder after race riots in nearby Columbia, Tenn. He also was one of Nashville’s first black city councilmen.
Nashville Federal Building (Customs House)
Completed in 1882, the Federal Building is a monument to Gothic Revival architecture. President Ruther-ford B. Hayes laid the cornerstone of the building in 1877 on the first visit of a U.S. president to the South after the Civil War. Originally built to house numerous federal offices, including the Justice Department, federal courts and the customs service, the building now houses the federal bankruptcy courts, as well as other state and local government offices.
No visit to Nashville is complete without a stop at Music Row. Known as the heart of Nashville’s entertainment industry, the district is home to numerous record labels, publishing houses, recording studios, and countless lawyers and law firms who help keep the country music industry in business. Other famous stops include RCA’s Studio B and Owen Bradley Park, which features a life-size statue of the country music producer.
Located on the outskirts of Nashville, the Hermitage is President Andrew Jackson’s former home. Sitting on some 1,100 acres, the National Historic Landmark has been open to the public since 1889 and features numerous historic structures, including the former president’s house, slave quarters and farm buildings. Costumed guides offer tours through the mansion and its grounds, where visitors can view personal belongings, wallpaper and original artwork from the United States’ seventh president.