Government Law

Attorney can’t bring his dog to work at courthouse, says AG’s opinion backing county’s ban

Aug 30, 2013, 01:50 pm CDT

Comments

Unless every lawyer working on this was pro bono something tells me a great deal of government money and/or time was wasted on frivolous litigation to arrive at this ruling.

By Michael on 2013 08 30, 2:55 pm CDT

It was an AG opinion, so either Cobern or the County Commission asked the AG for a legal opinion on the matter. An AG opinion is not a court ruling. https://www.oag.state.tx.us/opin/

By No Name on 2013 08 30, 3:45 pm CDT

You can judge the quality of a person by their opinions on dogs.

By Jason on 2013 08 30, 4:59 pm CDT

Too bad he can't move his office, or have his dog trained as a service animal and then he could bring him to work. I wonder what type of dog it is? And I can understand the legal reasons for not having pets there, but it's been going on for three years.

Why change now?

By concernedcitizen on 2013 08 30, 5:58 pm CDT

Too bad he can't have his dog trained as a service animal? Well, I'm guessing he is not disabled, so he would not qualify for a service dog. And you think it's too bad he is not disabled? Most people would consider themselves lucky not to be disabled. Plus, since it takes 18 to 24 months to train a service dog, even if he was disabled and his dog was suited to become a service dog (not all dogs are), he would not be able to take it to work with him for at least 18 months.

By Kelly on 2013 08 30, 8:09 pm CDT

Kelly - nicely done.

By Pushkin on 2013 08 30, 8:26 pm CDT

Too bad he can't have his dog trained as a service animal? That's basically saying "too bad he doesn't have a disability" because the very first requirement to legally have a service dog, is to have a legally definable disability. Last time I looked, narcissism isn't a disability.

By Christine on 2013 08 30, 8:28 pm CDT

i think what people here are implying is that most "disabilities" are b.s. anyway....

this whole dogmania thing ahs gotten out of control. when i was a kid, dogs were ...well, dogs, not substitutes for huamns that accounted for 5% of GDP, what with dog salons, spas, kennels, day care, training, etc.

I prefer cats myself. can I bring my 5 cats to work?

By defensive lawyer on 2013 08 30, 11:12 pm CDT

As a blind attorney I personally bring my seeing-eye dog to my office and to court regularly on a daily basis. B I believe when discussing any ServiceAnimal is important that one be reminded of who it is that is exercising the right. It is the person with a disability that holds the right to be accompanied by their ServiceAnimal in a place of public accommodation and it is the person that has the right to utilize their ServiceAnimal so that ServiceAnimal can perform the task of which it has been trained. The dog does not have the right to be anywhere, and anyone who misinterprets it to say that my dog has the right to be somewhere is completely missing the point. It is the person who has the right to utilize the dog to level the playing field not the dog.

By True justice is blind so why not your attorney on 2013 08 31, 12:32 am CDT