Around the Blawgosphere

Writing briefs with the iPad in mind | Taking your dog to the office | What is true innovation?

Oct 11, 2013, 08:30 am CDT

Comments

“From now on, all the important citations, including record citations, are going to be in main text, not in footnotes,” Ward wrote.

Well, that doesn’t make a lot of sense either. Why not insert a short citation in the main text that is hyperlinked, and then also insert the old-fashioned, stodgy, lengthy, Bluebook long citation in the footnote? That way everyone’s happy and the main text isn’t cluttered up with citation gibberish.

By Jaded on 2013 10 11, 9:42 am CDT

Most clerks and judges hate footnotes. You have to keep looking to the bottom of the page and back to find the citation, and also, many attorneys, in an attempt to cram more information into the page limit use smaller type for footnotes—which makes them more difficult to read.

By BMF on 2013 10 11, 10:01 am CDT

“More importantly, dogs aren’t professional. There is no suit you can wear that will counteract the extreme casualness of having a dog in your office while you meet with a client.”

It’s more than looks and noise.  Dogs stink and shed.  Dog people need to get out more (not just early in the morning and late at night).  Maybe eHarmony can create a separate service for people looking to replace animal relationships with human ones.

By Pushkin on 2013 10 11, 10:25 am CDT

I think the decision to allow attorneys and other employees to bring dogs would also depend on the type of practice and the clientele. If you’re a female who practices criminal defense and appeals, that large German Shepherd in the corner would discourage bad behavior without sacrificing confidentiality. And in a family law practice, having a dog present might reduce everybody’s stress levels.

But if you handle corporate mergers, IPOs, securities, etc., I’m not seeing too many advantages to having a dog in the workplace.

By BMF on 2013 10 11, 3:20 pm CDT

This is soooo bad…. at work, when I go to the restroom, I take the dog w/ me and (maybe) she gets a drink from the toilet.  Don’t tell the boss….

By Pub Def on 2013 10 11, 8:33 pm CDT

I enjoy bringing my dog to the office but for me it’s a rare treat, because I wouldn’t bring her on a day when I’m going to court or having clients or anyone else visit the office.  I’m a solo, and I’d never dream of leaving her in my office alone.  (It wouldn’t be fair to the other tenants of my building if she barked.  And I don’t relish the thought of saying “Your Honor, the dog ate my brief!”)
If anyone calls and requests a same-day appointment when my dog is at the office, I give the disclaimer that I’m not responsible if my 55+ pound dog jumps on them and knocks them over. (And they always opt to come visit me another day, go figure!)
I do think it’s a great stress-reliever to have a dog in the office.  And she keeps my feet warm on cold days.

By K. on 2013 10 18, 2:51 am CDT

I bring my dog to work every day.  I recently got a new puppy from a shelter and signed a contract he could not be left alone for two weeks.  The first day was tough because it was very distracting.  I have to get up 2 hours early to ensure he gets enough play time in so he will sleep most of the day.

Everyone at the office loves him.  It is long past the initial two weeks and he still comes to work.  He is pretty good at coming out of his crate, saying “hi” with a wag and a lick and then going back in his crate to sleep during a client meeting.

I work in estate planning and probate.  I have had a few stressed and depressed clients come in only to have their demeanor instantly change upon the sight of my little pup wagging his tail.

I have left for over an hour to go to a court hearing and the others in the office reported he just slept while I was gone. On one occasion when I returned, he was with another attorney’s secretary.  I’m not sure if he was really barking or if she just wanted to play with him.

As an added bonus, the extra large crate serves as a nice table for files.

By KDog on 2013 10 18, 12:21 pm CDT