Careers

Only 64% of law grads land jobs requiring bar passage, even as BigLaw jobs rise 27% in two years

Jun 20, 2013, 01:27 pm CDT

Comments

They should have gone to medical school. That is where the jobs are and will be. Medicine is the advance degree to have.

By tim17 on 2013 06 20, 2:07 pm CDT

Great point Tim, unless of course these students pursued the advanced degree that interested them, instead of the one with the best employment prospects. Stupid kids these days!

By Steve on 2013 06 20, 3:01 pm CDT

It is also possible they just didn't have what it takes for med school.

By B. McLeod on 2013 06 20, 3:14 pm CDT

That is a very good point, McLeod.

I came to law from an engineering background and a good friend in law school was a former chemistry professor. We both derived emense ammusement from watching our classmates struggling with the very basic arithmetic required in wills, estates, family and tax law classes. I very much doubt that many of those classmates could have succeeded in pre-med classes.

By W.R.T. on 2013 06 20, 3:32 pm CDT

Although fewer law school graduates are getting jobs that require bar passage, more BigLaw jobs are available, so the economy still has a while before it fully recovers. With any legal job opportunity, there are often many people applying for the position in today's legal market. With unemployment still at 7.6 percent nationwide as of May 2013, finding legal jobs or other kinds of jobs is more crucial than ever. Part of the problem may be that people are looking in the wrong places. While places like newspapers and websites are good, certain websites are better than others. Places such as www dot granted dot com is one of the better websites that offers both legal and nonlegal jobs for all types of job seekers.

By Andrew on 2013 06 20, 5:03 pm CDT

W.R.T. - We are all deriving "emense ammusement" from your spelling skills.

By Hedgehog on 2013 06 20, 7:17 pm CDT

I too derive emense ammusement from seeing my fellow engineering students struggle with the most basic and fundamental rules of grammar and spelling.

Actually, I do not.

By Emense Ammusement on 2013 06 21, 1:24 am CDT

Hello. I'm one of those who felt compelled to go to law school. I didn't consider medical school because I did not and do not want to be a doctor. When I go to a doctor, I hope that they are there because they want to be and not just for the job security.

By Law Student on 2013 06 22, 2:36 am CDT