Law Schools

Brooklyn Law School’s two-year degree program eliminates breaks

May 13, 2013, 11:00 am CDT

Comments

Sounds like a good deal for the School. It receives the same amount of money in two-thirds the time and will be able to turn out more graduates, faster. There will be addtional staffing requirements but since most schools already run summer programs (and several schools run inter-term programs) this will involve an adjustment to an existing curriculum more than the creation of an entirely new one. It's a little surprising more schools aren't doing it already. I take it that ABA attendance requirements permit it.

By Pushkin on 2013 05 13, 11:26 am CDT

Interesting ... Had this been an option when I went to law school I would definitely have done this. Especially since the third year was such a bore.

By Steven on 2013 05 13, 11:57 am CDT

Great, now they can graduate and work for twenty bucks an hour in a document review mill that much earlier. Better start paying back that $200K in non-dischargeable debt sooner than later.

By Chris on 2013 05 13, 1:16 pm CDT

The more options to quality for the bar exam, the better. There is nothing magical about three years course of study and summer breaks are now nothing more that time-off for kids to go swimming.

By adel on 2013 05 13, 3:23 pm CDT

This has obvious benefits for Brooklyn Law and no real benefits for students. Tuition is the same, which would be a major beneft. Yes, 9 months living expenses are saved. But you miss out on summer associate work (which would pay for living expenses) and miss out on firms normal hiring process, which makes it harder to get a high-paying job at graduation. You also (presumably) miss out on Law Review and many other 3L opportunities that would make you more attractive to employers.

By Bela on 2013 05 13, 5:48 pm CDT

I see the benefit for the schools: More tuition in less time. The students MIGHT get the same classroom education. But, because they are studying full time from start to finish, the students will not have time to work as summer associates. When I was a student, summer associate jobs helped me understand more about the practice of law and where I wanted to practice. A young lawyer who has had experience working as a summer associate has valuable experience that cannot be learned in the classroom.

By Hiring on 2013 05 13, 10:00 pm CDT

I had already heard that this school doesn't give its students any breaks.

By B. McLeod on 2013 05 13, 11:39 pm CDT