U.S. Supreme Court

Did Alito roll his eyes during Ginsburg dissent?

Jun 26, 2013, 10:40 am CDT

Comments

Who cares whether he rolled his eyes...it's a natural reaction to something you don't like...I don't see a problem.

I do see a problem with Citizens United...when I went to school that was called bribery, not free speech.

By wraparound on 2013 06 26, 12:38 pm CDT

@1 - How dare you malign the ability of powerful conservative corporate interests to purchase favorable legislation while refusing to pay for the privilege of growing rich using American laws, markets, and infrastructure?!

By Anonymous on 2013 06 26, 1:51 pm CDT

"Liberty of Democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point stronger than that of the democratic state itself. That is Fascism - ownership of Government by an individual, by a group." FDR

By atllaw191 on 2013 06 26, 3:12 pm CDT

Alito rolling his eyes in open court to condemn Ginsburg's opinion while she read it is all right, because it is be a human response commonly seen in other contexts? I don't think so. This is the highest court in the land. Its members are supposed to be fit by temperament and competence to sit as justices. Scalia's sometimes fiery observations in his openions are bad enough, but Alito's conduct is outrageous. He seems unable to control himself in full view of everyone: What next will come along from this man who will be on the bench for decades?

By Madisonian55 on 2013 06 26, 3:25 pm CDT

How could you really tell whether Alito was rolling his eyes? You'd really have to be focusing on Alito' face (rather than Ginsburg, who was talking) to even hazard a guess on whether eye-rolling is occurring. (As a father of teenage girls I am familiar with the subtleties of eye rolling.)

I will observe that this story is an example of the soft, people magazine quality of reporting in 2013 America.

By Yankee on 2013 06 26, 5:13 pm CDT

I'm afraid I have to agree with Yankee @ 5. When newspapers of record report on body language without at least giving the gist of the opinion, journalism--or what passes for it these days--has reached a new nadir.

By BMF on 2013 06 30, 3:01 am CDT

If he were on the other side of the rail, that could be contemptuous.

By Brian on 2013 07 04, 10:40 pm CDT