ABA Journal


White-Collar Crime

Fla. lawyer who disappeared turns himself in; feds say up to $8M in client funds is missing

Jun 20, 2013, 04:45 pm CDT


we. too were taken by timothy mccabe. For two months we were assured that they could modify our mortgage. After paying them $1390 which is alot of money for us for i am a local grocery clerk with only a part time job. my husband has not been able to find work in our area, we purchased his family home of which i have called home since my early teens. i am now 48. we were told we would get a refund from the beginning if they could not help, it took two months to say they couldn't help us. I sent numerous emails and phone calls with no response other than to contact someone else. from which i got no response I decided to call the Florida Bar, they informed me that mccabe was missing with alot of money. My heart sank to the floor. I knew then that we would lose our home. I contacted our mortgage company to pretty much beg them for another chance because of what had happened. When they agreed to work with us i was overwhellmed with joy . 'THANK YOU MORTGAGE COMPANY'. I DO NOT RECOMMEND MCCABE TO ANYONE

By gcamp on 2013 06 20, 8:34 pm CDT

gcamp: Attorneys and Title Companies must maintain Errors and Omissions Insurance as well as bonds. The amount you mention should certainly be covered and I would suggest contacting the law firm for a refund, and if they refuse to suggest you will file a claim against them, along with a formal complaint to the FL bar against the firm. That should get your issue resolved.

By Thomas on 2013 06 21, 2:10 pm CDT

And, gcamp, the Florida State Bar Association has a client security fund that MAY help in your situation.

By Old Lawyer on 2013 06 21, 6:07 pm CDT

gcamp: There are many home loan modification scams. You will need documents to support your claim. Gather up all the documents related to your escrow that you can find. Check with your Bank/S&L to see if they have duplicates of any that you are missing. If you paid this McCabe guy with checks, ask for imaged copies from your bank. Tellers checks, bank checks, or similar drafts drawn on your account are also imaged. If you know the dates and the amounts, the bank can usually provide an imaged copy. These should be admissible as evidence for your claim. Good luck!

By BMF on 2013 06 25, 11:10 pm CDT

Add a Comment

We welcome your comments, but please adhere to our comment policy.

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.