Celebrities

How an ordinary attorney got hired as general counsel to Marlon Brando

Dec 30, 2013, 09:19 pm CST

Comments

I'm kind of saddened by the thought of Brando being lonely in his later years. I'm still not happy with him singing Luck Be A Lady rather than Sinatra in the movie version of Guys And Dolls. The Godfather was a percussionist - who knew?

By 4th Year Evening Student on 2013 12 31, 4:35 pm CST

Just once I would like to list "consigliere" on my resume.

By DCW on 2013 12 31, 6:53 pm CST

It's one thing to get a crack at a job; another to keep it. I know of another such case where an attorney reconnected with classmate at a high school reunion. Classmate, who had meanwhile become a famous athlete, was disaffected with his current agent, so hired Attorney. In that situation, it soon became clear that Attorney didn't have the goods, whereas Seeley apparently did.

By Tom Field on 2014 01 03, 11:17 am CST

Re the headline of this squib: how does one qualify to be described as an "ordinary attorney" as distinguished from a "non-ordinary attorney" ?

By George Spencer on 2014 01 03, 3:05 pm CST

I meant to say something about the "ordinary" moniker but forgot. The fact that he kept the client suggests, indeed, that Seeley is extraordinary.

By Tom Field on 2014 01 03, 4:18 pm CST

I'm not sure why the author is compelled to nominate Seeley as an "ordinary attorney." I guess that's what you get when you read ordinary squibs...

By Just another ordinary attorney on 2014 01 03, 4:31 pm CST

No doubt the ABA was distinguishing between ordinary attorneys and "LA" attorneys, a distinction that Brando seemed to appreciate. If you wish to see documentation of the difference, watch the Legally Blond movie. (I'm not saying which one is better or worse).

By William Able on 2014 01 03, 8:06 pm CST

Didnt Marlen Brando die? And if I am right, what differnece does it make for this guy b/c he is not collecting royalties for being a former GC, am I right?

By Vi on 2014 01 03, 8:06 pm CST

Sounds like Seeley didn't have to be much of a war time consigliere for those last four years

By EJF on 2014 01 05, 7:34 pm CST

On a slightly different note, I am saddened to hear that his estate - after a lifetime of acting, in some legendary films, no less- only had a $26 million estate....

By DKK on 2014 01 06, 5:13 am CST