Annual Meeting

Human trafficking must end, says Justice Kennedy at ABA’s Opening Assembly

Aug 11, 2013, 02:36 pm CDT

Comments

Comment removed by moderator.

By B. McLeod on 2013 08 11, 6:22 pm CDT

Comment removed by moderator.

By Fred on 2013 08 11, 7:39 pm CDT

Comment removed by moderator.

By B. McLeod on 2013 08 11, 8:11 pm CDT

Repeating, reposting and sharing: Human trafficking must end, says Justice Kennedy at ABA’s Opening Assembly
It's not easy to upstage a U.S. Supreme Court justice in an auditorium full of lawyers, but an assertive young woman with a compelling story to tell almost pulled it off Saturday evening at the Opening Assembly of the ABA's 2013 Annual Meeting in San Francisco.
Justice Anthony M. Kennedy was the keynote speaker for the Opening Assembly, a role he has filled a few times at past annual meetings. But last night, he had the task of following Minh Dang, who recounted her experiences as a victim of human slavery in the United States, and her efforts to deal with her personal trauma while advocating for other victims of human trafficking.
And the agenda for the House of Delegates this week includes a proposed uniform state law covering human trafficking. The measure was drafted by the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws. The House will meet all day on Monday and part of Tuesday. http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/human_trafficking_must_end_says_justice_kennedy_at_abas_opening_assembly/
Bellows told the Opening Assembly audience that the ABA also has developed a training program for first responders to help them identify human trafficking cases and assist victims more effectively, and has drafted uniform business conduct standards relating to trafficking.
But it took Minh Dang to put a human face on the issue as she gave a painful account of being sold as a sex slave in the San Francisco area by her own parents. She has been a tireless advocate for vulnerable children and other trafficking victims around the world, and until recently she served as executive director for Don't Sell Bodies, an initiative founded by actress Jada Pinkett Smith. In May, Dang was recognized as a White House Champion of Change.

By Richard A Sands on 2013 08 11, 11:24 pm CDT

It is beautiful to read about a woman so brave. This woman could not show more honor by casting aside her shame to reveal her past and I wish her well with these efforts. Thank you for sharing a hopeful article and thank you for continuing awareness.

By Haylie Wilson on 2013 08 12, 6:08 pm CDT

There is very little that is more barbaric than trafficking in humans, especially children. If only this article were front page news and the lead broadcast story in every market across the US.

God have mercy on those victims and, I daresay, their captors.

By WMantooth on 2013 08 12, 8:21 pm CDT

I don't think Justice Kennedy is a woman.

By B. McLeod on 2013 08 13, 12:36 am CDT

I am a Human Trafficking Survivor, Advocate and Future Therapist and the Owner of W.C.A.I.C.

Let me tell you about my goals.

I plan to open a Human Trafficking Center on FREE land in my community. I plan to educate my community about Human Trafficking as well as create a safe CENTER for victims/survivors to heal and reshape their lives.

I am networking in 2013 while working on my Business Plan and Grant Applications etc 2013 - 2014 since I graduate with my Bachelors in Psychology in 2015, I hope to open W.C.A.I.C. Human Trafficking Treatment Center and Counseling Office in 2015.

Would love to partner with many people and look at importing victims to NP to turn them into survivors and maybe after they stay at the safe secure facility for 2 weeks to 2 months, I would possibly turn them over to our local Deborah's Advocacy to incorporate them into a reformed life within our community.

I have found up to 125 acres of FREE land in the newest business section of North Platte. "FREE" to the "right project". I think Human Trafficking is very important to develop.

Teresa Belsky
“Some Woman Named Teresa in Nebraska”
W.C.A.I.C.