Trials & Litigation

Judge in Paula Deen case had refused to stay deposition in which she made N-word admission

Aug 15, 2013, 10:45 am CDT

Comments

Why is this a story?

By Pushkin on 2013 08 15, 11:35 am CDT

In my District, judges are emphatic in denying such motions to stay pending the ruling on a motion to dismiss. In fact, the case management orders expressly state that the filing of a motion to dismiss will not stay discovery

By Christian on 2013 08 15, 12:25 pm CDT

The judge probably reasonably supposed the deposition was being taken for use in the case rather than as part of a character assassination campaign in the media at large. Now, of course, he knows better. Might be a stellar occasion for one of those judicial inquiries that kicks off an attorney discipline case.

By B. McLeod on 2013 08 15, 12:28 pm CDT

@3 Although I would not speculate on whether any discipline would be in order, it would be good for the appropriate authorities (I am not sure exactly who) to undertake an inquiry to determine precisely how the transcript was disclosed to the media, including the individuals involved with the case responsible for the disclosure.

The whole incident leaves a bad taste in my mouth. (And this is from somebody who can't stand Paula Dean.)

By Yankee on 2013 08 15, 2:27 pm CDT

"The whole incident leaves a bad taste in my mouth."

Were you making a statement about Dean's cooking here, Yankee? I ask because double entendre has not been a characteristic of your posts in the past.

By Pushkin on 2013 08 15, 4:52 pm CDT

Pushkin: Yep, that was first double entendre I ever used in a post, although I do acknowledge you as the undisputed master of this form

By Yankee on 2013 08 15, 6:36 pm CDT

What do you have against butter slathered in mayonnaise, Yankee?

By NoleLaw on 2013 08 15, 8:20 pm CDT

NoleLaw: I guess I have nothing against butter slathered in mayonnaise, except, of course, for the little problem of cardiac arrest. (It's funny: You never see the American Heart Association "Heart Smart" mark associated with any of Paula's dishes.)

By Yankee on 2013 08 15, 8:38 pm CDT