Judiciary

Judge Reports for Jury Duty, Watches Own Training Video Unrecognized, Keeps Lunch Ticket as Souvenir

Oct 5, 2012, 03:19 pm CDT

Comments

It’s a rather sad statement that a trial judge has never served on a jury.

By faddking on 2012 10 06, 2:34 am CDT

It’s rather stupid to compel a sitting judge to participate in a jury. I cannot imagine any trial lawyer would want any legally trained individual to sit on a jury.

By Peter C. Lomtevas on 2012 10 06, 6:48 am CDT

Is no one else troubled that the people who are trusted to decide someone’s guilt or innocence did not notice that the judge was sitting there?

By Another Andy on 2012 10 08, 8:55 am CDT

@3 I think it’s more just nobody is surprised.  I haven’t been in a courtroom in about 6 years, but I remember often having a lot going on and not paying attention to any of it (because it didn’t specifically affect me/my case). :D Can’t imagine how little a jury might pay attention.

By Mole Mountain on 2012 10 08, 10:47 am CDT

we always keep lawyers, paralegals, etc. off juries when possible—we don’t need any forward thinkers, legal analyzers, etc. to be talking to other members to bias the deliberations process.

By NoelV on 2012 10 08, 1:53 pm CDT

I am a commercial bankruptcy lawyer with quite a bit of courtroom experience.  I have showed up for jury duty several times, and was either bounced or not selected.  But one time, in a criminal trespass case, the prosecutors and defense counsel kept me.  I refused the other juror’s demand that I be the foreperson.  And I ended up being impressed with the other jurors who did their job and did it well.  We acquitted.  The trial reminded me of a bad trial advocacy class.  I admire what the judge did here.

By Ransom Stoddard on 2012 10 08, 2:40 pm CDT