Law by the Numb#rs

Lawyers say they like storing data online

May 1, 2013, 07:20 am CDT

Comments

We have looked at online file storage, but it seems expensive compared to our stacks of servers, even with the cost of maintenance (and backups). This is only a guess but in 5 and certainly 10 years, the prices will probably be comparable. If it was only 10% more to have all my data stored online, I would do it.

By Tom on 2013 04 30, 12:55 pm CDT

I will never understand the more to the cloud.  I am old enough to remember the bad old world of centralized servers and a lack of freedom to use a computer the way I wanted to.  The move to personal computers was so empowering and now we want to go back to giving up control, having to rely on central storage, and even have our software in the cloud?  Why do we want to do that?  If I have a power outage, I can still used my charged laptop, but if I work off the cloud I am lost.  This is progress?

By Sherri on 2013 05 01, 12:58 am CDT

“The Cloud” which has been around for decades is certainly en vogue now. It makes a great deal of sense for a good percentage of law firms today.  Cloud growth is derived from both economic and workflow changes. Simply stated, storage is much cheaper now.  In addition, bandwidth is also more readily available to a mobile attorney anywhere, anytime with significant redundancies.  A major point to consider is security, which can be achieved with the right solutions. Cloud is an awesome way to connect, store, and be more productive and secure with your work. Just my thoughts… Twitter: @joerazz

By Joseph Raczynski on 2013 05 01, 2:18 pm CDT

@Tom: I’m curious. What are your requirements that would make the cloud more expensive than “stacks of servers”? One of the main reasons to store data in the cloud is that it is generally much cheaper than maintaining local servers. I think you are the first person I have heard say that it would be more expensive.

@Sherri: Very few people are actually moving everything to the cloud so they can’t use their computers while offline. That works fine for some things, but definitely not for everything.

By Sam Glover on 2013 05 01, 9:18 pm CDT

@#2 Sherri - it’s called a “hotspot” - you use your cell phone and your “charged laptop” and you’re in business again - get your head out of the cloud.  As a small business/law practice owner - cost is king - my BS is Accounting and I think some of the cloud offerings are incredible compared to the amount of time stuck to only doing and recording business while in the office.  Cloud computing with a “hotspot” phone and a “charged laptop” (a new fast one to boot) has made an incredible difference for me.  I’ve actually been going home from the office before 9:45pm most days.  Hope it helps others as well.  I’m also with you #4.  Some things are best served in the cloud and some offline - we use both all day long.

By Dennis on 2013 05 09, 1:42 am CDT