Security

New hacker technology threatens lawyers’ mobile devices

Sep 1, 2013, 08:10 am CDT

Comments

I am a sole practitioner with one part time lawyer employee.  I read a scary article on hackers in The New Yorker and have since ramped up my security protection by having more sophisticated passwords on my devices.  The encryption suggestion is good and I need to explore.  I currently am dealing with “Email spoofing” where a sender in the Ukraine is sending spam as if it originates from my email.  As a result, I am “blacklisted” and had to arrange for my outgoing email to be sent from another IP address.  It is three weeks since this happened, and I still get about 100 bounced emails a day rejected from recipients as spam.  Fortunately I have spam protection on my website so the bounced emails do not arrive on my desktop but in a spam report.
Recently I believe someone was trying to hack into my Android phone.  The screens were moving without my initiating it, and then when I turned off and back on, the password screen was coming alive with a lot of numbers being selected.  I shut it down completely and stopped the hacking attempts, I believe.  i have Lookout installed on the phone, but it did not prevent the attempted hacking.  I am going to remove all passwords from my contacts on my desktop that synchs with my phone and have passwords as hard copy.

By Frank Eaman on 2013 08 28, 2:23 pm CDT

Regardless of what can be done to secure devices, there will always be people who attempt to hack them. Suggestions like hiring an IT person are nice if you are a mega-firm. But what about solos who need practical, low cost alternatives, and who often are faced with a choice of whether to upgrade software, replace out of date hardware, or buy specialized practice suites?

By BMF on 2013 08 28, 2:50 pm CDT

I went solo at age 61 to slow down and reduce expenses, leaving a firm I was with for 18 years.  But, one of the expenses I have to swallow is IT.  There are people who contract for IT services on an hourly basis who can help protect and respond to crises.  I have one on call who jumped in and helped with the email spoofing problem.

By Frank Eaman on 2013 08 28, 3:01 pm CDT

Just take a look at what can be done using Dropbox: http://www.thecyberadvocate.com/2013/07/31/dropboxslittle-security-problem/

By Brian Focht on 2013 08 28, 9:15 pm CDT

If and when it is possible it is far best to not send personal information over phones. These attacks and cases have been going on for years and some of these attacks are coming from home, homegrown terrorists cells.

It’s the ones that want to steal information without being detected so that they can use it to their personal advantages. They want to get in and out without being detected. My point is they don’t always steal what you can see, like money…it may be something you least expect like pertinent and very private information.

It’s a shame but we are living in a world where security is becoming so important that it is disrupting the free lives we mostly enjoyed in America.

But let’s not allow them to completely steal our peace. Take precautions, and remember safety first.

By concernedcitizen on 2013 08 28, 10:25 pm CDT

Folks, police and homeland security are also accessing private files. That you can take to the bank.  Homeland security is working with all local sheriffs to spy on targets deemed worthy.
Encryption is good,  don’t kid yourself the man will get your info if they want it.

By Midwest redneck on 2013 08 29, 1:32 pm CDT

Recent revelations that the NSA is collecting the content of virtually all emails for potential future reading raises the question of whether sending a communication via email constitutes a waiver of the attorney-client privilege.

By TaiKan on 2013 09 25, 1:02 am CDT

Comment removed by moderator.

By AG on 2013 10 03, 5:50 pm CDT