Privacy Law

NSA broke privacy rules thousands of times in one-year period, Snowden leak reveals

Aug 16, 2013, 07:29 am CDT

Comments

Didn’t this news break two months ago? Any 2L who took crim pro could tell you that the Verizon surveillance order alone blatantly violates the Fourth amendment. Oh the poor, abused, neglected Fourth.

By NoleLaw on 2013 08 16, 7:48 am CDT

“In one instance in 2008, the Post says, a programming error confused the U.S. area code 202 for 20, the international dialing code for Egypt. As a result, call information from Washington, D.C., was collected.”

BWAHAHAHHAHAHA! Oh Gawd! Please stop! You’re killing me…(wipes away tears from eyes) Whew! Oh! Man… That’s a real knee slapper!

By wraparound on 2013 08 16, 7:50 am CDT

Remember when we had a judiciary that kept the other parts of the government from overstepping their power?

... Neither do I.  I guess that ended before I was born.

By Anonymous on 2013 08 16, 9:22 am CDT

@3 - I don’t know about you, but the time dedicated to the Fourth Amendment in my crim pro class was the most baffling/frustrating portion of my law school education. And my professor was outstanding, consistently rated as one of the top instructors in the law school.

By NoleLaw on 2013 08 16, 10:27 am CDT

And the FISA court just keeps on rubber stamping at an approval rate of 90+ %. Is it too late to trade Obama for Snowden?

By SlipKid on 2013 08 16, 11:33 am CDT

Don’t delude yourself SlipKid, you know your guy would have been just as bad. Another one of your guys got this ball rolling, after all. This problem is way beyond partisan ideology.

By NoleLaw on 2013 08 16, 11:35 am CDT

Meh, I voted for Obama and I’d *still* trade him for Snowden in a heartbeat.

The utter chutzpah of Obama to say that he’d rather have a frank and open conversation about something he was never going to reveal to us…  Then he appointed the guy who already lied to Congress about it to lead the “reforms.”

I think people on here have me wrong because I’m strongly anti-GOP.  They assume I must be pro-Dem.  I’m really not.  Obama has done some good, but he hasn’t been the “Change” we were promised in a lot of key ways.

Would I still take him over the alternative?
Absolutely.

By Anonymous on 2013 08 16, 11:39 am CDT

Ideology is all slip has to rely on, nolelaw, cause it sure ain’t objectivity.

By American Patriot on 2013 08 16, 12:16 pm CDT

Snowden ain’t 35.

By NoleLaw on 2013 08 16, 12:24 pm CDT

It’s a little less sensational when it is an internal audit that finds it, since that implies they were violations of NSA’s internal rules and the NSA was trying to prevent it.

By Dr Phun on 2013 08 16, 12:59 pm CDT

Bless them and the circuits they sneaked in on .

By Docile Jim Brady – Columbus OH 43209 on 2013 08 16, 4:48 pm CDT

@9: I’m not saying I want to make Snowden President. I’m proposing swapping their locations.

By SlipKid on 2013 08 16, 9:48 pm CDT

#5—Obama did not appoint the FISA Court judges.  Chief Justice Roberts did.

By AndytheLawyer on 2013 08 22, 10:04 am CDT

Abraham Lincoln’s famous observation, “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.” comes to mind when one thinks of the National Security Agency.

We’ve just learned in the past few days that in 2011, the chief FISA court juge, John Bates, found that the NSA had violated the Constitution and engaged in a pattern of misrepresentation by agency officials in submissions to the secret court i.e., the NSA lied to the Court, repeatedly.  In 2013, top NSA staff lied to Congress, then admitted it.

Members of Congress whose responsibility it is to provide oversight over the NSA responded to Edward Snowden’s disclosures of NSA lying, over-reaching, and unconstitutional conduct, by lying to the American people.  Members of Congress falsely claimed that the NSA wasn’t doing what Edward Snowden disclosed was routine practice and convincingly claimed that the NSA didn’t even have the capacity to do what Edward Snowden disclosed to be routing conduct.  They lied just as the NSA has done for years.

Members of Congress, members of the Obama administration, members of the media have joined together in a hue and cry for Snowden’s prosecution when they should be insisting on the prosecution of those in the NSA and in Congress who have allowed these illegal, unconstitutional assaults on our constitutional rights by what has become a rogue agency.

Any member of Congress who had knowledge of the NSA’s misconduct could have disclosed it on the floor of the House or Senate and remained immune from any prosecution,  None did, even those who hinted at misdeeds.  Rather, it took a citizen with a conscience who believed that his fellow citizens had a right to know what there government is doing, and to believe that he had a responsibility to share information about the conduct of this out-of-control agency when others failed to protect the constitution by doing so.

Unless we as citizens of the United States insist on respect for important provisions in our constitution, as long as we as citizens stand silent while those who inform us of misdeeds are prosecuted for those disclosures, we are indeed fools; and we dishonor those who helped form this nation, and those who have given their lives to protect it over the years.

By Vermont Lawyer on 2013 08 23, 12:54 pm CDT