Celebrities

OJ Simpson is allowed to have one hand free as he argues for new armed robbery trial

May 15, 2013, 03:50 pm CDT

Comments

"His lead counsel, Yale Galanter, is being portrayed by Simpson; lawyer Gabriel L. Grasso, who was involved in the 2008 trial and additional witnesses as cavalier about preparing the case and a source of poor advice to his client..."

I have no idea what this sentence means. Is there anyone at the editing desk? Hello?

By Joe on 2013 05 15, 4:14 pm CDT

Joe- it was confusing to me too at first until I realized the sentence refers to two different lawyers. It actually makes sense.

By parker on 2013 05 15, 4:16 pm CDT

The sentence makes no sense at all.

By JJ on 2013 05 15, 4:22 pm CDT

You need to change the semi-colon to a comma and then it makes sense. The gist of it is Galanter is being portrayed as cavalier. In other words, he didn't work hard.

By Alyson M on 2013 05 15, 4:26 pm CDT

@Parker - Joe is absolutely right. That entire paragraph is awful and unintelligible.

By eddie on 2013 05 15, 4:27 pm CDT

@JOE
THANK YOU. I had just woke up and re-read that sentence like 10X and said, I NEED MORE COFFEE. Glad it wasn't me.

WAKE UP ABAJOURNAL. You write like 3rd graders. STOP HIRING YOUR FAMILY TO WRITE FOR YOU. Get some real talent.

By Christina on 2013 05 15, 4:30 pm CDT

I read the sentence time after time and it still makes no sense to me. News articles such as this are written for the masses - so even if it was correct it's not even close to being clear.

By dAVE on 2013 05 15, 4:46 pm CDT

I had to read it a few times myself. An apostrophe "s" instead of a semi colon, an extra comma here and there and it finally makes sense.

By Comedy Express on 2013 05 15, 4:48 pm CDT

His own arrogance and naieve stupidity caused his incarceration in this miscarriage of justice. If he had good sense and kept himself out of trouble he would not have been so stupid as to give the criminal 'just-us' system of this country the opportunity to have another crack at him. Only a black man would receive 9 to 33 years for a crime in which no one was hurt and no one lost their lives. If you think he is not paying for his exoneration for the murder of his wife you are not living in white america,

By Randolph Greene on 2013 05 15, 4:57 pm CDT

How about:

His lead counsel, Yale Galanter, and lawyer Gabriel L. Grasso, who was involved in the 2008 trial, is being portrayed by Simpson and additional witnesses as cavalier about preparing the case and a source of poor advice to Simpson, according to ABC News, the Associated Press and KXNT. Galanter himself is expected to testify later.

Looks like a careless cut and paste job ...

By Berley on 2013 05 15, 6:00 pm CDT

*are*, that is...

By Berley on 2013 05 15, 6:01 pm CDT

Thanks, guys. This article was posted while the copy editors were in a meeting, so I've only just gotten to it. The sentence(s) should read:

"His lead counsel, Yale Galanter, is being portrayed as cavalier about preparing the case and a source of poor advice to Simpson. These charges are being made by lawyer Gabriel L. Grasso, who was involved in the 2008 trial; Simpson himself; and additional witnesses, according to ABC News, the Associated Press and KXNT."

<b>- Lee Rawles
Web Producer
ABAJournal.com</b>

By Lee Rawles on 2013 05 15, 7:01 pm CDT

This may be meta, but I think comment on where the copy editors were and what they were doing is off-topic.

Personally, I enjoyed this Las Vegas, one-arm bandit story, notwithstanding the issues with the writing.

By B. McLeod on 2013 05 15, 11:03 pm CDT

Free O.J. to continue his quest for the Real Killer.

By Stephen J. Dunn on 2013 05 16, 2:30 pm CDT

@ 14: NO! NO!!! I strenuously object to freeing O.J. Simpson--as he will only distract the media from the witch hunt that is Benghazi!

By BMF on 2013 05 16, 8:51 pm CDT

I got a laugh at the mindset and the focus of the people making comments about the quality of the writing. This is why I don't socialize with lawyers. They are like wolves or a pack of dogs in that the pack will attack things that the individual members would ordinarily have no interest in attacking even if capable of succeeding individually. Usually (pay attention folks: USUALLY not ALWAYS), a group of attorneys becomes an overly competitive, arrogant, unpleasant, socially stiff and unattractive group of people even if they do drink enough, which they usually don't.

Is it too late to be in a band? Maybe barber college. I like sports. I could do something in sports.

By Elwood Blues on 2013 05 17, 2:33 pm CDT

@9 Really? The race-card? Is Obama really a white guy too? You've got to be kidding. There were armed people involved in OJ's "sting operation" AND one of the victims had a heart attack. It WAS a violent crime. Besides, justice isn't cruel to black people disproportionately because their black. Justice is disproportionately cruel to POOR PEOPLE. Just ask some of the Hispanics in the clink. OJ got what that judge believed he deserved. It was not a sentence passed by the "White Guys Club." We didn't even meet that week. And, the week before we were at the Brooks Bros sale. I'm wearing the sweater vest I got at that meeting right now.

By John Q. White on 2013 05 17, 2:41 pm CDT

*1L writing professor rolls over in grave for confusion caused by passive voice in sentence in article and editor's comment*

By Simple Writer on 2013 05 17, 5:09 pm CDT

Wow. That double homicide acquittal really spoiled OJ. Now anything less than "not guilty" and the lawyer was clearly incompetent.

By You call this coffee!? on 2013 05 17, 10:48 pm CDT

@Elwood Blues - maybe you just need to meet some different lawyers, or lawyers from a different part of the country ;) I'm in my first year of practice, and almost all of the lawyers I have met (of all ages) are interesting people who are warm and friendly (and do, actually get more interesting when they have a drink in them.) No wild Bar Association parties or anything - but certainly not "socially stiff and unattractive." I go to a lot of different functions and CLE's to network, and I find it to be enjoyable with lots of laughing and good conversation.

And before you jump to the conclusion that it must be because I'm also a lawyer and therefore "socially stiff and unattractive," I'll assure you that my non-lawyer friends find me plenty easy to hang around with, depsite the JD and bar card!

By RecentGrad on 2013 05 21, 1:31 pm CDT