The Modern Law Library

‘Devil in the Grove’ Author Discusses Early Thurgood Marshall Civil Rights Case

Apr 9, 2012, 08:30 am CDT

Comments

Willis Virgil McCall ♦ 21 July 1909 – 28 April 1994 = 30 , 962 days or 84 years , 9 months , 7 days .

Mr. McCall lived way too long .  Judge James E Horton lived into his 90s , yet was never re-elected or elected to a judicial office after he granted a new trial in State v. Haywood Patterson in the 1930s .
There is no question that McCall is in the set of ” good things happening to bad people ” .

About the summer of 1973 , for reasons unknown since the case is an unsolved cold case , an on duty Columbus OH police officer was ambushed and killed by a shot gun , while responding to a phoned in need for an officer .

Consequently, nearly 40 years later , we know not whether he was in the ” good things happening to bad people ” set or the ” bad things happening to good people ” set .

Any who , as long as there exist violent psychopaths or sociopaths , there will be those who choose to go outside the voting booth to remove rogues from office.

I respectfully suggest that it is a matter of all the pins lining up that determines the longevity of the evil.

By Docile Jim Brady - Columbus, Ohio on 2012 04 09, 8:16 pm CDT

This was very interesting and as an admirer of Thurgood Marshall the lawyer, I’ve ordered the book. I look forward to more interviews with authors of legal history.

By David on 2012 04 12, 5:56 am CDT

What’s the concept here? That we access our email list of ABA Journal articles on our smart phone or tablet from home then listen? Check every two weeks before we drive to work (I bike, but let that pass) then listen in the car? Or take several minutes to listen to a podcast that has the information in it that one could read in a minute?

No doubt the content would be interesting - certainly this one appears to be - but do you expect lawyers to cut out work time at the office to listen?

Getting information by listening or viewing is really inefficient for most purposes, and for most likely purposes of your target audience, I suspect.

By John G on 2012 04 13, 9:12 am CDT

Thanks for your feedback John. We make it pretty easy to listen to these as you have time. You can listen on a mobile device, at your desk, or download the podcasts and listen later. There’s also the option to subscribe on iTunes or via RSS.

The books podcasts in our Modern Law Library series are meant to be short introductions to books we think our readers will find of interest. - Molly McDonough, ABAJournal.com

By Molly McDonough on 2012 04 13, 10:53 am CDT

I’m always delighted to find new and interesting podcasts - I used to commute and podcasts made it a pleasure to do so.  Now I listen to podcasts when exercising at the gym or going on long bike rides (with one ear only during the latter ;o)  ), and they make the exercising and biking a LOT more interesting.  The ABA Journal has made some really good podcasts available and I look forward to more.  Thanks, ABA Journal.

By Louise on 2012 04 14, 9:07 am CDT

Intrigued by Mr. King’s topic, I found this book at Barnes and Noble and once I started reading, I was unable to put it down.  Finished it this weekend, and without question, the book is a thriller.  But it doesn’t insult your intelligence.  King gives you so much history and law on these pages, but never at the expense at the story.  I wanted to learn more about Thurgood Marshall’s early life after reading Devil in the Grove.  I hope you continue to bring great books to this podcast. I found this interview very enjoyable and it led to a great book recommendation.

By Lawman on 2012 04 16, 1:20 pm CDT