The Modern Law Library

‘Lawyer Bubble’ author discusses what the future looks like for today’s new lawyers

Apr 9, 2013, 09:05 am CDT

Comments

Funny how this was posted on the same day as the story about how rural localities in South Dakota are begging lawyers to come and be paid.  The problem is the kids getting out of school are just bound and determined that they’re going to work in some giant firm in some giant city on the coast, and if they can’t have exactly that, they’re going to sit on their asses and pout while they drown in their student debt.  That’s the problem.  There aren’t too many lawyers, but somebody’s going to have to get on the train for South Dakota.  That’s just how it is kiddies, so suck it up and sling your packs.

By B. McLeod on 2013 04 09, 5:50 pm CDT

I partially agree with B. McLeod. There are jobs for attorneys that are willing to move to the right location and work in the right field. My first job paid enough for me to make rent and drive a twenty year old car, but I learned what I needed to learn and moved on after a year.

The problem is that the debt load of these new graduates makes taking some of these jobs very difficult. If tuition levels decreased a bit, then these new attorneys could afford to work for people that need access to the court system.

By Island Attorney on 2013 04 09, 10:51 pm CDT

Until August of 2008, I drove a 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix.  I think it was among the last American-made vehicles before the domestic auto industry hit on crappily-made, unreliable vehicles as a means to sell more cars.  It could push through deep water up to the hood and keep on going.  When it was wrecked by a large truck that hit it in a parking space, that car still looked almost as good as the day I bought it.  There is nothing wrong with an old car if it is a good car.  Now I drive a Japanese vehicle.

By B. McLeod on 2013 04 10, 2:25 am CDT

Something I have not seen proposed and implemented yet is to abolish the requirement to have a bachelors degree prior to law school.  Doing this would eliminate four years of prior debt that Law Students may have taken on prior to law school. Virtually no law school actually has any specific prerequisite courses/degree program, only a bachelors degree.  Why not just let Law Schools do a bachelors degree program that would allow the Law Students to sit for the bar?  They would need to take the LSAT like everyone else in order to prove themselves for entrance into law school.  Their grades in high school and course rigor should also be considered for entrance, even their SAT score could be considered.  If the choice was between 2 years of law school vs. eliminating the bachelors degree requirement I think both the Law School and Law Students would be more amenable towards eliminating the bachelors degree requirement.  Law Schools would be providing a significant debt reduction without affecting their own program, thus reduce lay offs they may have to make with alternative debt reduction proposals. They could also implement the University Law Firm model to provide further training post graduation or focus on externships.  If this was good enough for the accounting profession why not the legal profession?

By legaltruth on 2013 04 11, 11:42 am CDT

Ms. Zahorsky, a bit more information in print would have been appreciated. I read much more quickly than I listen.

By William Able on 2013 04 12, 7:53 am CDT

McLeod, I would question your patriotism, and even compare dissing American-made cars to dissing our judiciary. But, to be honest, I, myself, dream of having the cash on hand one day to own a Belgium made gun and a German made car. Now on to the audio, (while I practice on my Fender-owns-Kayman-which-owns-Ovation guitar, manufactured in China. Until a moment ago, I did not know that Ovation was born the same year I was. You know, wouldn’t it be interesting if music, possibly like life, is all about coincidence? Like, could it be that it is simply coincidence that certain notes harmonize with certain other notes, while other notes do not? Or even that this particular iteration of the universe just happens to have physical laws that have kept it relatively stable, and extant, so far? I love science.)

By Tom Youngjohn on 2013 04 12, 1:11 pm CDT

God bless Steven J. Harper.

By Tom Youngjohn on 2013 04 12, 1:25 pm CDT

“Kaman,” not “Kayman.”

My bad; if I could I’d banish myself to some islands a little south of Cuba and northwest of Jamaica.

By Tom Youngjohn on 2013 04 12, 1:33 pm CDT

I guess my patriotism just doesn’t extend to buying a five-figure piece of crap that is designed to fall apart at 60,000 miles.

By B. McLeod on 2013 04 12, 5:52 pm CDT

@8,9

Go six figures and get an American-made Tesla Roadster. Even Jimmy Hoffa would have liked one of those!

By William Able on 2013 04 12, 5:58 pm CDT

As i like my Bar Associations a little less officious, so to I like my cars a little less ostentatious.  Give me my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. The wife of one of the (fill in) guitarists for Three Dog Night rolled it over in the snow, and I got it as a “rebuild” for just $1,800, and bless me if it hasn’t been my all time favorite car these last two years.

Sadly, I suspect I’ll never be able to afford a Mini Cooper. Not even a used one.

By Tom Youngjohn on 2013 04 12, 6:13 pm CDT

Oscar Brand would have rolled it over in the clover.

By B. McLeod on 2013 04 12, 6:31 pm CDT

//youtu.be/7syMivuctIg

By Tom Youngjohn on 2013 04 12, 6:49 pm CDT

@B.McLeod do you get paid to comment on ABA articles, or do you just have nothing better to do?

By Jk76 on 2013 04 13, 1:32 am CDT

Rumor has it that the ABA somehow grants B.McLeod CLE credit for comments here. I’m hoping that rumor is true, so I can get on that gig myself.

By @Tom Youngjohn on 2013 04 13, 1:50 am CDT

That last comment was at (not by) Tom Youngjohn. I’ve been working too late. Time to go home before I make any bigger mistakes.

By Apologies on 2013 04 13, 1:52 am CDT

I have always assumed that I shall have treasure in heaven for my many selfless observations on the ABA comment boards.  Maybe it will be as good as having extra “ethics” hours.  I think I am already an hour and a half more ethical than is strictly required for the current compliance period.

By B. McLeod on 2013 04 13, 2:22 pm CDT