The Modern Law Library

Rosa Parks’ attorney: ‘If the story would be told, I’d have to tell it’ (podcast)

Aug 20, 2013, 01:30 pm CDT

Comments

Thank you Mr. Gray for defending Rosa Parks, John Lewis, Martin Luther King, Jr. and others in the Civil Rights fight for justice and equality. Fred Gray was an important key to the African American freedom movement. It can be said if not for you and your defense of Ms. Parks, the Civil Rights movement may have stalled following Rosa Park’s arrest on the bus, and thus taken another path, perhaps one less successful and less peaceful. You exemplify an honorable aspect of the practice of law.

Mr. Gray spoke at the City Club of Cleveland in October 2011

By justice on 2013 08 21, 12:54 am CDT

Thank you for this article read nationwide.  In Alabama, Gray is a living legend to any attorney whose knows about law and relatively recent history that Gray made and helped change course.  God bless him.  He should be a shining example to attorneys like Crump and Park, who in their very public representation of Trevon Martin’s family, served to set back race relations in this country.  Instead, they are the antithesis of everything Gray stands and has stood for—using the law to create justice for all, including the prosecuted and the persecuted, without regard to their race.

By Realist on 2013 08 23, 3:40 pm CDT

I glad you enjoyed the podcast! It was an honor to talk with Mr. Gray. In response to your comment, though, I thought I would let you know that Mr. Gray supported the prosecution of George Zimmerman, and felt the not-guilty verdict was unjust. I was lucky enough to speak with him for about 35 minutes, so much of the interview had to be cut for time. Our discussion about Trayvon Martin’s death was part of what was left out. (As was a bit about his representation of one of the defendants in Times v. Sullivan, which I am going to try to find an occasion to post later. As a journalist, I’m quite attached to Times v. Sullivan.)

- Lee Rawles
Web Producer
ABAJournal.com

By Lee Rawles on 2013 08 23, 4:26 pm CDT

The fresh and honest new details about what was on Rosa Parks’ mind, and when, remind me of the state of mind of the ABA House of Delegates decision to urging federal, state, local and territorial governments to pass legislation curtailing the availability and effectiveness of the use of “gay panic” and “trans panic” defenses by criminal defendants.

Honest is the best policy indeed.

By Tom Youngjohn on 2013 08 23, 9:23 pm CDT