ABA Journal Podcast

What you don’t learn about trial work in law school (podcast with transcript)

Aug 5, 2013, 08:29 am CDT

Comments

I did at Baylor Law School!  Practice Court ftw

By Matthew on 2013 08 09, 8:01 am CDT

Good! They mentioned the importance of gaining persuasion and litigation skill. Some people are natural persuaders. But litigation strategy requires experience. If I said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times, as soon as just a few judges start taking people’s Constitutional right to a jury trial in criminal cases seriously, and find that more than twice the offer after trial is an infringement upon this right, we’ll have more people going to trial, we’ll need more judges, we’ll need more attorneys, we’ll need more citizen jurors engaging and serving their democracy. But I don’t think we’ll need any more jails and prisons. I’m pretty sure we have enough of those already.

By Tom Youngjohn on 2013 08 09, 12:47 pm CDT

Like most readers, I’ll wait for the “transcript to come.”

But I do hope there’s an announcement - or a new post in the weekly ABAJournal e-mail - when it does come.

By Avon on 2013 08 09, 9:17 pm CDT

Agree with Avon.  I don’t have time to listen to a podcast, especially since there’s no indication of how long it even IS.

I’d like to read the transcript, though.  Hopefully “Transcript to come” isn’t an empty promise.

By emjaycee on 2013 08 11, 5:13 am CDT

My apologies, guys. The transcript was added on the 8th, but we failed to refresh the article properly so that it would show up. It’s available now.

- Lee Rawles
Web Producer
ABAJournal.com

By Lee Rawles on 2013 08 11, 9:45 am CDT

Thanks, Lee!  :-)

By emjaycee on 2013 08 11, 7:11 pm CDT

And by the way, you have a beautiful singing voice.  ;-)

By emjaycee on 2013 08 11, 7:25 pm CDT

Thank you, Lee Rawles ... because you posted a Comment and I had opted to receive comments, I learned that the transcript is up.  And it’s great (I’m in NY too), which I never would have stayed tuned to a podcast to find out.  The transcript is flawless, too.  Well, almost flawless:

I confess to enjoying the remark that the courts in New York State are “so Vulcanized.”  So cool!!
I always knew they were balkanized.  (The State Constitution is just too tough to amend, and it still mandates about 10 or more kinds of court, depending in part on whether the county is within NYC, all with partially overlapping jurisdictions.)  Sometimes they’re so balkanized that I would really love to see them Vulcanized, or even Vulcanize them myself!  The mere thought absolutely made my day.

By Avon on 2013 08 14, 8:48 pm CDT