Opening Statements

Scorned as ‘copyright troll,’ poet fights back in verse

Oct 1, 2013, 04:10 am CDT

Comments

For the trash,
“The Troll,” is fit,
And like “The Dash,”
A piece of sh#t.

Perhaps the worst,
That I have seen,
An effort cursed,
And less than keen

If that’s the best,
That she can do,
Ellis, “poems,”
Should eschew.

By B. McLeod on 2013 09 23, 10:12 pm CDT

Oh, McLeod, where is thine “mooncalf”?
Tis a clear slant rhyme with “the dash”!

By quilty on 2013 09 25, 6:02 am CDT

“of up to” conjoined with “most” tortures logic worse than demands of cash for “The Dash”

By quilty on 2013 09 25, 6:11 am CDT

In putting Ellis in her place
B. McLeod takes first place
By heaping up deserving scorn
Upon her troll badge proudly worn

But if poor Ellis spends her dash
Extorting people for their cash
The beauty of her poem will fade
Beneath the travesty she made.

By LawLOL on 2013 09 25, 8:18 am CDT

Wow!  The poetic comments are far better than the subject.

By Russ LaPeer on 2013 09 25, 8:41 am CDT

Horrible way to spend her “dash”...

By RIck Barber on 2013 09 25, 8:52 am CDT

The poetry is great…and sums up the situation well.

By SME on 2013 09 25, 9:51 am CDT

Also, I won’t repost the above poems…I promise. HaHa!

By SME on 2013 09 25, 9:58 am CDT

Kudos, McLeod and LawLOL.  You have too much time on your hands and I applaud you for it!

By BamBam on 2013 09 25, 12:00 pm CDT

Poet’s Dilemma - how to balance the wish to be awarded monetarily for one’s creative work with the sometimes contradictory wish to get it out to as many readers as possible? (It is a busy day or I’d work on a poetic version of this comment!)

By LivelyClamor on 2013 09 25, 3:00 pm CDT

BTW, ABA Journal obviously has gotten a time machine. It says “Posted Oct 1, 2013 4:10 AM CDT” at the beginning of the article.

By Anna Gray on 2013 09 25, 7:46 pm CDT

And for a small fee, you can rent it.  (THAT’S how we have “time on our hands”).

By B. McLeod on 2013 09 25, 10:46 pm CDT

thank you for this update. Our small firm was targeted as well with this ambulance chaser. We did pass the file to our insurance company who opted to settle at $3,500. Unfortunately for us we were billed the deductible amount for our policy and our premium has increased. I had hoped that the insurance company having to deal with multiple such unfounded claims would fight back and bring the matter into the open. The insurance company is more pragmatic and perhaps did the right thing. We had used the “Dash” into our newsletter with circulation limited to 1,900 existing clients whereby the link to the the poem was web based. Full credit were provided.
...unfortunately for all of us; the cost of freedom and democracy comes with its rat nest of ambulance chasers. Now we have to deal with those who try to capture web based URLs; but that’s another case isn’t?

By Pierre Gagne on 2013 09 26, 10:02 am CDT

Ellis’s suit for cash,
permanently stains her dash.
Her snarling mad grab for pennies inane,
finds her the spectacle ridicule and disdain.
It is pure irony that her greatest notoriety,
comes from dashing with no class or piety.
Maybe she will learn from this path in tatters,
that it is walking, not talking, that really matters.

By Scott Etherton on 2013 09 26, 1:17 pm CDT

“There once was a man from Nantucket…”

Does that fine limerick enjoy copyright protection?  Seriously though men who are actually from Nantucket must hear it all the time.

By SME on 2013 09 26, 1:28 pm CDT

“He said with a grin,” SME! Certainly that would constitute a waiver of any sort of intellectual property intererest, would it not?

By Mike Russell on 2013 09 27, 7:09 pm CDT

Ok you tempted me…here goes:

There once was a poet named Ellis
Others’ use of her work made her quite jealous
She said with a laugh
“I’ll take all their cash!”
“My lawsuit will be over-zealous!”

By SME on 2013 09 27, 7:18 pm CDT

Hmm. I’m not sure I’d go so far as to call her a copyright troll, but I would definitely caution her that this really is not the way to win friends and influence people.  She COULD have used this as a chance to expand her reach, get her name out in front of people, and maybe sell an anthology or something.  Instead, she’s turned herself into That Jerk That Sued The Internet Because Someone Reposted Her Poem Onoez.

By JB Kaye on 2013 09 29, 5:57 am CDT

One need only know that not one single person has ever been sued by Ellis for posting The Dash on a website, in a funeral program, or in a newsletter. Not one. AND not one single person has ever purchased the stupid poem for more than a handful of dollars - plastered on some shitty plaque, nome and cheap jewelry.  We all look forward to that first person who gets that privilege as we salivate to see her show those damages she continues to harp about.  Imagine it might be difficult to show she has suffered any losses with minimal sales at $7.99 a pop.

Ellis can’t even prove SHE wrote the poem. Others claim to be the actual author. The sermon she ripped the poem off was written by a Georgia preacher just down the road from Ellis. She never mentions that guy by name yet quotes him nearly word for word in his, I mean her poem. SHE copyrighted the content, circulated the content herself with her TELL A FRIEND form. SHE uses a web designer AKA Copyright Representative (he has no legal credentials of any kind) along with a couple family members to troll for the victims her efforts generate. Instead of protecting her legacy she has now become the face of probably the most financially damaging piece of literature ever written. The Dash poem is nothing more than a scam for extorting money by any means possible - outside the legal system. http://www.aprilbrown.com/copyright-infringement-the-das/

By April Brown on 2013 09 29, 5:23 pm CDT

People with no talent only manage to shine a bright light upon that.

We shall hold a light!!

B. McLEOD,
NOT ON ABA STAFF

By B. McLeod on 2013 09 30, 1:08 am CDT

Interesting I think the poem “the dash” stinks. And I can’t believe that there is so much rhetoric or conflict over so many using it.

There are far better poems out there.

By concernedcitizen on 2013 09 30, 4:10 am CDT

Neither a lender or a copier be.

By GroovyOne on 2013 09 30, 12:14 pm CDT

20—-> are you making fun of my poetry?  Personally I think I have a lot of poetic talent (unbiased opinion).  Alas!  A new career!  See ya ambulance chasers!  I’m gonna be a poet.

By SME on 2013 09 30, 6:13 pm CDT

SME - Please continue to write.  I want tol “share” your brilliance on The Dash Poetry Slam - Frans vs. Frenemies. http://www.aprilbrown.com/the-dash-poem-poetry-slam-sa/

By April Brown on 2013 09 30, 7:41 pm CDT

No, SME, I’m still making fun of the alleged poetry allegedly written by Ellis.  I thought yours was fine.

By B. McLeod on 2013 09 30, 10:11 pm CDT

Well in retrospect, mine was rather bad.  Oh well.  I guess I still need to look for that legal position.

By SME on 2013 10 01, 10:17 am CDT

24—> HEY that my copyright!  ha ha just kidding.  Nice anthology there however!

By SME on 2013 10 01, 10:20 am CDT

A poet in dire need of a muse,
used copyright law as a ruse,
but the best rhyme for “cash,”
she could think of was “dash,”
and she failed to research “fair use.”

By BMF on 2013 10 02, 4:03 pm CDT

#‘s 15 & 16: Poor bugger also had a hearing problem , so the story goes…

By greyghost on 2013 10 04, 7:09 am CDT

Can’t believe it is so difficult for people to write their own material.

By Beeeereal on 2013 10 04, 8:29 am CDT

Ellis exhibits an impressive show of cunning and hypocrisy for which we should all be jealous.

She lures infringers in with her altruistic-sounding verse:

“For it matters not, how much we own; the cars ... the house ... the cash.”

Then when the suckers bite at the bait by re-posting the verse, she avariciously swoops in with cash-seeking troll threats. Brilliant, for hypocrisy makes the world go round!

OK, here is my try at copyright fortune:

I care not for gold, diamonds or money,
    Just smelling the flowers is my sweet honey.