Features

The Dream Bar: Some Children Illegally Living in the United States Grow Up to Want to Be Attorneys

Jan 1, 2013, 10:59 am CST

Comments

If he’d had moral character, then the day he learned he was not in the USA legally he would have gotten on a bus, returned to his home country and applied at the US embassy for legal admission.

By AndytheLawyer on 2012 12 26, 6:37 pm CST

We snuff out achievement as a culture.

By Peter C. Lomtevas on 2012 12 26, 6:58 pm CST

We have a drastic shortage of lawyers. We need to have illegals, foreign qualified lawyers and how about homeless people as well, as members of the bar.

By mike on 2012 12 29, 8:28 pm CST

Well, someone let Adamius in, so I assume cockroaches and ficus plants are on the way.

By B. McLeod on 2012 12 30, 12:57 am CST

I’m so sick of illegals. There are over 90 thousand lawyers in Florida and with the recession there are even less jobs. If any of these people were morally sound, once they learned of their status, they should have return to the country of the origin and apply for a green card like everybody else. It is not fear for other people who came to this country the right way. if you are illegal no matter the way you said you are still in legal. return this country is taking is very unfortunate pretty soon we will all be required more than it is now to speak Spanish.

By Bella on 2012 12 30, 2:19 pm CST

@ 1 and 5 - “If any of these people were morally sound/ had moral character…”

What scheme of morality would command a person to leave the country of their childhood and entire adult life based on the decision another individual made on that person’s behalf?

If we as a country had any moral character (or a more utilitarian as opposed to emotional approach to policymaking), there would be little debate about legalizing the status of persons who are here not of their own accord, who are American in every manner except on paper, and who have demonstrated that they will be productive members of society.

By NoleLaw on 2012 12 31, 2:26 pm CST

#6—If your prankster friends carry your drunk, unconscious body into the bar’s ladies room and you wake up there, do you stay and blame your presence there on your friends?  Or do you have the decency to stand up and skedaddle out of where you shouldn’t be?

Now substitute parents for friends and the USA for the ladies room.

By AndytheLawyer on 2013 01 02, 7:00 pm CST

Andy, what causes you to believe NoleLaw would be out of place in a ladies’ room?

By B. McLeod on 2013 01 03, 1:02 am CST

@8 - Zing.

@7 - Of course, your comparison breaks down in the case of so called Dreamers as they did not spend one night in the States. Many have spent almost their entire lives here. And, in contrast to myself in a ladies’ room, people such as Godinez-Samperio have demonstrated that they deserve an opportunity to stay. Finally, unlike myself in your above scenario, as reforms such as those in the DREAM Act become the policy of this country, a formal invitation to remain legally can (and should) effectively be extended to folks such as the people described in the article. Depending on the circumstances, I might well choose to stay in a ladies’ room I came to in if invited to by the ladies present, much to McLeod’s undoubted jealousy.

By NoleLaw on 2013 01 03, 3:25 am CST

Well, an invitation makes it entirely different (and is probably why my firends left off pulling this stunt back in the 1980s).  But, I must own there were still a few other and further occasions on which I was (understandably) confused by the little symbol of the man in the kilt and the sign that is so devilishly close to “laddies”.

By B. McLeod on 2013 01 03, 4:34 am CST

For comments 1-5, First, please educate yourselves in the increadibly complex and archaic immigration system that our country has.  Second, after you have a real understanding of the immigration process then go ahead and spew your views.  Finally, I ask, is it moral to ask an individual that has not known nothing but this country to return to a place that they 1) may not know, and 2) probably have little to no ties to?  I can relate 100% to this article.  I was brought to this country when I was 13 years old.  My parents obtained their green card going through the motions of having their parents submitt applications for them. By the time my parents had obtained their green cards I had “aged out” and had to go back to the end of the line when my mother submitted a new I-130 for me. Fast forward 16 years after my arrival to this country I finally managed to attend law school.  Before entering law school my first thought was to serve my country in middle of a war.  Thus I enlisted in the USN, even though I had a bachelor’s degree, and have honorably served in the defense of our country, so it makes me sick to read comments from individuals that lack the knowledge to comment on the matter and then have the galls to call themselves lawyers.

By R. Rodriguez on 2013 01 04, 6:44 am CST

Why not keep your pompous directives to yourself, Rodriguez?  You aren’t God, or even one of the Moderators, so I hardly require your permission to post whatsoever comment I choose.  I never have, and I never will.

By B. McLeod on 2013 01 05, 12:55 am CST

Indeed. Let’s take a page from Bella’s book and lament the lack of English speaking skills among immigrants, and let’s do so in broken English for emphasis. And let’s not have an informed discussion about immigration, as we know facts get in the way of emotional responses to what might otherwise be considered rationally and addressed through good policy.

By NoleLaw on 2013 01 05, 11:14 pm CST

Because we are United States citizens, and by God, we have that right.

By B. McLeod on 2013 01 06, 12:04 am CST

Note to the ABA Journal editors: the name of Mr. Godinez-Samperio’s undergraduate alma mater, which I am proud to share with him, is “New College of Florida.” It is Florida’s honors college, and it takes no definite article.

By Matthew G. on 2013 01 11, 4:38 pm CST

@13: Not all problems have good & fair solutions. More often than not, if there are solutions at all, they are all deficient in some way.

By Tyrone on 2013 01 18, 7:50 pm CST

Comment removed by moderator.

By Easermaneew on 2013 01 21, 11:33 pm CST