Aviation Law

TSA to allow airline passengers to board with small knives, pool cues and lacrosse sticks

Mar 6, 2013, 09:36 pm CST

Comments

And I store my pool cue and lacrosse stick WHERE on this plane ?

By Charlegman on 2013 03 06, 9:49 pm CST

1. Charlegman,

You really don't want to know the answer to that question.

By W.R.T. on 2013 03 07, 1:36 am CST

Who carriers just one golf club? The entire bag won't fit in the overhead bin or that little box in which you have to "test" your carry-on luggage before boarding. I really want to just avoid flying!

By Umm... on 2013 03 07, 3:34 pm CST

Small knives okay, my bottle of water still not okay. Got it.

By Atty on 2013 03 07, 4:36 pm CST

Apparently you're allowed to bring two golf clubs. Why two? When travel consultant Peter Greenberg was discussing this with a flight attendant, she said, "Yeah. Why does anyone need two golf clubs on a plane? What's the second one for? Backup?"

By Jane on 2013 03 07, 4:50 pm CST

I was puzzled by this to begin with: why allow knives to begin with? But apparantly it is to match international carriers' rules. And the length for blades -- 2.36 inches - who knows how long that is? Why not say what it is: 6 cm.

By JimB on 2013 03 07, 7:04 pm CST

This is laughable. Thanks to the "Harlem Shake" incident, we now know that virtually all security measures implemented by TSA are irrelevant, because all it takes to down a plane is a bunch of people jumping around in the aisles.

By BMF on 2013 03 07, 9:45 pm CST

This is understandable. The paradigm changed right after 9-11. Before then, if your plane was hijacked, you sat still until the FBI could rescue you while negotiating in bad faith to provide a ransom payment.

The new paradigm is, if your plane is hijacked, you do not wait for the FBI. Instead, you and your fellow passengers rush the threat(s) and stomp them to death in the aisles. Read just about any press report about disturbance on a plane (since 9-11) and you will find that is exactly what the passengers are doing. If they are not actually killing the guy causing the problem, they are subduing him, duct-taping him, whatever, until they can turn him over to the authorities upon landing.

The knife thing is passe. Ditto for pool cues and lacrosse sticks.
Explosive liquids can still bring a plane down so of course they will still be banned.

By Paul the Magyar on 2013 03 08, 1:40 am CST

What about nail clippers, nail files, tweezers and cuticle scissors? I've lost some of those to the TSA before I remembered not to put them any more in a carry-on bag. If it is now OK to eat during flight time with the usual tools, is it OK to groom with them as well? I promise not to use them at my seat, but it would be nice to be able to finally carry on a bag with my infrastructure instead of going to the extra hassle of checking my bag to avoid confiscation of my stuff.

By sunforester on 2013 03 08, 10:48 pm CST