Legal News

Video: FTC Threatens to Sue Google; Pot Legalization Aftermath; More Law Firm Mega-Mergers to Come?

Nov 15, 2012, 01:24 pm CDT

Comments

I can read faster than the time it takes to listen to the well-articulated news reader guy. Also, when I open the video to watch/listen I can do only that but when I read I can continue to listen to the Bloomberg radio (or other news) feed—or, even more satisfying, to the calming music that I hear on my favorite internet radio station that ensures I maintain my emotional and intellectual balance throughout the day.

By Peter L. Wolff on 2012 11 16, 10:57 am CDT

Video is too slow. Moreover, unless reading is a problem, text information is always more efficient.

By Adel on 2012 11 16, 11:59 am CDT

They will remain unviewed here. I see no reason to think the ABA Journal would be any better at blocking malware payloadsembedded in Flash than more sophisticated sites. We block it by default and only IT can override that.

By California Lawyer on 2012 11 16, 12:12 pm CDT

The MJ issue is already in court. Oakland has sued the federal government asserting that the AG’s crackdown on medical MJ is illegal in view of the state law to allow it.

By legalizeit on 2012 11 16, 12:37 pm CDT

The federal government’s efforts to make marijuana - or, for that matter, ANY drugs - illegal is another example of the federal government overstepping the limits that the Tenth Amendment was supposed to place on it. When we wanted to make alcohol illegal throughout the USA, we had to amend the Constitution. Why is this not the case with drugs?

Whether drugs are legal or illegal should be a State matter only, unless of course the drugs are transported over State lines, in which case the Commerce Clause can be used to justify federal laws on the subject.

But all too often, the drugs remain inside a single State. It is beyond absurd (yet somehow accepted!) for the federal government to try to justify federal laws against drugs WITHIN a State on the grounds that those drugs MAY cross State lines. That kind of thinking makes the Commerce Clause completely irrelevant as a limitation on the federal power to regulate, which is what that clause was originally supposed to be.

By Josh Effron on 2012 11 16, 1:33 pm CDT

The federal government is unlikely to ultimately succeed in blocking the MJ initiatives, assuming the federal government’s argument is based upon the preemption doctrine.  This is because there is no positive conflict:  The states have simply repealed their own criminal and civil penalties and states cannot be legally required to make conduct illegal.  While federal grant funding can be used to entice states to pass laws, in this case its too late since the ballot initiatives have already passed!  The federals may see some success in blocking the state sanctioned taxation and regulation aspects of the marijuana initiatives on a preemption challenge (see Controlled Substances Act), but the “taxation and regulation” parts of the initiative would likely be severed from the “penalty removal” parts of the initiative.

It may soon prove ironic that the Controlled Substances Act, which used to prevent marijuana activity, could now potentially prevent a state’s ability to even regulate marijuana.  Meanwhile, the weed grows free from any state penalty.  Of course, federal law still makes it illegal, but is the DEA properly funded to bust in dorm room doors to round up joints from college kids?  Not a chance.  Folks, welcome to the beginning of the end of this generation’s prohibition.

By Flower Esq. on 2012 11 16, 2:11 pm CDT

Thanks for providing text!

By Nancy on 2012 11 16, 2:21 pm CDT

Spare us the videos, they’re not “scannable” like text and merely add to the time it takes to peruse relevant news.  Moreover, the news readers are frequently annoying, particularly when they mispronounce words.

By casefiler on 2012 11 16, 11:49 pm CDT

Wow.  Someone’s website favoring their own website.  How DAAAARE they?

By Adamius on 2012 11 17, 4:10 am CDT

Although colorful and easy to use, I will add my vote to that of “casefiler”.  I is important to have an ability to filter or search content, which, as of today, is not possible with video medium.  I applaud the attempt to bring your content into the 21st century, but some things are better left alone.  Even if one is not the fastest reader, the time and bandwidth saved by staying with all-text content is well worth it.

By NerdLaw on 2012 11 17, 12:03 pm CDT