Question of the Week

What Are You Thankful for This Year?

Nov 20, 2012, 11:48 am CDT

Comments

So much to be thankful for! There are always bumps in the road, but it’s nice to see the good in everything! As the article said even with the economy and the foreign conflict (The Gaza attacks) we can all be thankful for what we have, and stop feeling sorry for what we don’t. Anyways,

Happy Thanksgiving to the ABA Journal team and all of my fellow readers and commenters!

By Joshua Neuman on 2012 11 20, 1:36 pm CDT

Well, the roof doesn’t leak.  I don’t have any debts to pay.  I have steady work and can pay the utilities.  I have plenty of firewood, and so far, the signs are for a mild winter anyway.  The pantry and cellar are well-stocked, and I even have a good supply of canned food at the office.  I haven’t had any disciplinary cases in my decades of practice.  There are no holes in any of my dress shoes.  I have a new set of strings for my guitar.  This year, for the first time, I made the finals in the ABA Peeps contest.  I had a pretty good dinner this evening, and now I am sipping a bottle of Sam Adams “Merry Mischief” Gingerbread Stout.  It is a short work week, and I should not have to spend any of Thanksgiving at the office.

By B. McLeod on 2012 11 20, 10:05 pm CDT

As an immigration attorney working for a small nonprofit, I am most thankful for the many ways communities continue to welcome newcomers to the United States in spite of the hateful rhetoric we saw during this year’s political campaign. America has traditionally been the “last best hope” for so many who have suffered for religious and political freedom and with the aid of the nonprofit legal community and the many pro bono attornneys who give of their time and energy to asylum seekers, it will continue to be.

By Joyce Antila Phipps on 2012 11 21, 6:15 am CDT

I am thankful for my son and wife, without whom I probably never would have gotten myself together enough to go back to school and get the JD. I am thankful that I have passed the bar exam at the comparatively advanced age of 43. I am thankful for the extended network of friends and family who are helping me, in whatever ways they can, enter the practice of law. I am thankful that our collective health seems good.

By John Ogden on 2012 11 21, 6:58 am CDT

Despite being fired in August and losing my mother in September, I’m still here, using my experience to help as a volunteer, enjoying my husband of 30 years (we met in law school) and our 3 kids.

By Susan E. Page on 2012 11 21, 8:08 am CDT

I have a wonderful family, a wife who keeps me grounded, a daughter who graduated from College and is now in one of the “big” Law Schools (she reminds me that her school is ranked higher than where i went), and God.  Of course, living in the greatest country in the world goes without saying.

I am also SOOOO very thankful for these “questions of the week” as they often give me a chuckle.

By Proud Dad on 2012 11 21, 8:19 am CDT

I am thankful for my job at a really great forward thinking state bar association.  As a disabled individual I would not be able to keep up with the rigors of private practice, the client dinners, the rain-making, etc.  So I am grateful that I have a chance to make a positive difference in the lives of our state bar members as a Bar lawyer and keep working full time even with my health challenges .  And of course am grateful for my wonderful son and husband who are truly the best men in the world.

By Happy State Bar employee on 2012 11 21, 9:02 am CDT

I am thankful for my loyal and very sweet wife and our truly wonderful children who have exceeded our expectations in every way that matters.

I am also thankful for my clients, business associates and collaborators.  I could not make it without them.

Finally, I am thankful for the family and friends who will be joining us for Thanksgiving tomorrow: The turkey that will be eaten (fried in peanut order as Almighty God intended), the beer that will be drunk and the cigars that will be smoked.

My Cup Runneth Over!

By Yankee on 2012 11 21, 9:55 am CDT

It would be interesting to come up with a vocabulary for such occasions that did not require at least verbal invocation of a deity, for those who see no evidence of such a being but who are aware that there are good things in their lives that they should recognize for what they are. ‘Counting your blessings’ has the same issue as ‘giving thanks’ - from whom, in the first case, and to whom, in the second. If there’s nobody out there, one may still have much to celebrate, or to cling to, or to set off against the downsides that are inevitable in life.

Somehow ‘look on the bright side of life’ doesn’t seem to capture it all, though it’s a help to resiliance and ultimately to happiness.

All of that still consistent with a wish to all for a happy Thanksgiving, however you express it.

By John G on 2012 11 21, 10:22 am CDT

Faith, family, friends and freedom.

By kennyg on 2012 11 21, 10:52 am CDT

Among the many things I could name….the STUNNING array of scotch my friends and I shared at my house last night. Our favorites were a Brora 30 yr (2007 release) and a Port Ellen 23 yr (2005 release, “Provenance” bottling).

I figured that I needed to live up to the legal stereotype.

By TexasTelcoLawyer on 2012 11 21, 11:58 am CDT

I am thankful that I had the good fortune to meet a young woman of incredible strength in the face of tremendous obstacles.  When I asked her how she managed to stay so positive, she told me that at age 8 she decided she could either be happy or sad, it was her choice.  Every night when she went to bed, she thought over the day to find “one moment of perfect joy.”

I got through my cancer treatment with that practice.  I still look back at the Joy Journal I kept, and each moment I recorded still has the ability to melt my heart.  Today’s moment of perfect joy was when a large flock of Canada geese flew over my head in a brilliantly blue sky.

Tomorrow marks the day I finished cancer treatment, seven years ago.  I am thankful for my health, and for my family - both the one I was born to and the one I have chosen.

By Bossy Woman on 2012 11 21, 12:05 pm CDT

I am thankful for life.  When I was eight years of age I was placed in a hospital room with a forty year old man in an iron lung.  They told me he had a wife and children.  During the night he turned blue and died.  They told me he had polio, the same thing I had.  Life is dear.

I am thankful for liberty.  After college, I took a position as a civilian with the Navy in an office on the Virginia side of Arlington Memorial Bridge.  Every day new graves appeared for fallen heros of Viet Nam.  Liberty is costly.

I am thankful for family.  My son served in the Army in Iraq and my daughter serves in the Air Force where she was assigned to Japan, Iraq, Afghanistan, the Pentagon and now Fort Meade, Maryland.
My father-in-law and one of my brothers served in the Navy.  With all the separations from the rest of the family during their service we realize that family is precious.

By Kent Ryals on 2012 11 21, 12:18 pm CDT

I am thankful for so much, the fact that both my husband and I still have our jobs with our respective non-profits, warm showers in the morning (that takes a lot of technology when you think of it), regaining health, love, flowers in the spring, dogs that make me laugh, friends and family, groups like Mensa that connect me with fun people, my bike, my local farmers who send me food, etc. etc.

By Desert Wren on 2012 11 26, 1:22 pm CDT

I am thankful for the Twenty-second Amendment.

By Marc on 2012 11 26, 3:56 pm CDT

I’m thankful for the Pali Cannon. And also for being invited to help celebrate the hiring of a new partner in a big (boutique) law earlier firm this month:
And I’m thankful that I’ve ordered my first amp, (with both mic and guitar plug ins and separate volume controls), so that never again will I have to shrilly yell over fifty some-odd people’s polite applause.
But mostly I’ve been thankful for the Pali Cannon.
And, of course, for Jesus.

By Tom Youngjohn on 2012 11 26, 9:38 pm CDT

Two “n"s in Canon. (I’m so embarrassed.) Here is one translation:

By Tom Youngjohn on 2012 11 26, 9:41 pm CDT

OMG “law firm earlier”

By Tom Youngjohn on 2012 11 26, 9:44 pm CDT

Understandable, Tom.  Phil Ochs once sang of Christian Cannons, and Ben Gurion fired a Holy Cannon at the Altalena.  You’re the first I have known to cite Pali Cannon, but in any event, congrats on the fancy new amp.  I reiterate my encouragement for a musical Peeps submission, and also call your attention to Orpheus Caledonius and the works of Lady Nairn, each of which may be found on the ‘Net with a diligent Google search.

By B. McLeod on 2012 11 27, 1:59 am CDT

I am thankful that my 18-yr-old daughter is still with us. She has been battling a rare pediatric cancer for 2.5 years. This time last year, the doctors gave us a less than 1-in-5 chance she’d make it this far. Despite chemo, surgery, and radiation, she managed to graduate from high school with honors and is now in college. She is living every minute of every day and doesn’t take anything for granted. She is my inspiration and her battle has helped me put my life into perspective.

By K.E.M. on 2012 11 27, 10:29 am CDT

I’m thankful that I have a job I love.  I am thankful that I am able to spend as much time with my family as I can.  I am thankful for good friends and mentors.  I am thankful for an awesome church.  I am thankful for all the blessings God has given to me.

By Just A Paralegal on 2012 11 27, 11:25 am CDT

Scotch songs! Love it. (Okay, okay, I did that on purpose. “Scottish” songs…)

K.E.M., I’m sorry. Your story reminds me of a song. The Youtube title says it’s “Christian,” but, as far as I can tell, it could easily be Jewish or even vegetarian. (And I’m half atheist, go figure.) In my opinion the video is about gratitude in the face of adversity. I watch this video every Saturday and it makes me cry like a baby. Maybe that’s why I watch it.
I’m posting a link to a religious song, to a stranger, so this post may get deleted.

By Tom Youngjohn on 2012 11 27, 3:51 pm CDT

There are some great scotch songs, of course, but I save those for when I’m working on a case.

By B. McLeod on 2012 11 27, 8:15 pm CDT