Posted Dec 23, 2009 01:03 pm CST
The chief judge of Brazil’s Supreme Court has ruled a 9-year-old boy in an international custody battle should be returned to his father in the United States.
The ruling by Judge Gilmar Mendes appears to bring the case of the boy in accord with the Hague Convention, the Associated Press reports. The convention seeks to ensure that custody matters are handled by the courts of the country where the child originally lived.
Sean’s father, Ronald Goldman, is seeking to transfer custody from the boy’s stepfather, a lawyer from a prominent family of Rio de Janeiro attorneys, AP says. Goldman’s wife took Sean to Brazil in 2004 for what was supposed to be a vacation, the New York Times reports. She later called and said she wanted a divorce.
The boy’s mother died in childbirth last year, leaving the child with his stepfather.