Attorney General

Ex-AG Gonzales Defends Holder’s Decision to Probe Interrogation Abuses


Former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales says the new Justice Department chief is asking legitimate questions in a probe of interrogation abuses of terrorism suspects.

Gonzales told the Washington Times that Attorney General Eric Holder has a great deal of discretion in such matters. As chief prosecutor of the United States, he should make the decision on his own, based on the facts, then inform the White House, Gonzales told America’s Morning News, a Washington Times radio show.

Gonzales said that interrogators who went beyond the guidelines set by his Justice Department should be investigated. “We worked very hard to establish ground rules and parameters about how to deal with terrorists,” he said. “And if people go beyond that, I think it is legitimate to question and examine that conduct to ensure people are held accountable for their actions, even if it’s action in prosecuting the war on terror.”

Gonzales expressed confidence that Holder is concerned only about the “1 percent of actors” who violated the ground rules. The other 99 percent “are heroes and should be treated like heroes for the most part, not criminals,” he said.

Previous:
CIA Resists Disclosure of Additional Interrogation Documents

Next:
Your Law Librarian Is Watching: 'Hot Stuff' Tracking Software Can Cut Costs


We welcome your comments, but please adhere to our comment policy. Flag comment for moderator.

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.