Ex-DA Apologizes, More Fully
Posted Jul 27, 2007 02:35 pm CDT
The former district attorney for Durham County, N.C., apologized yesterday as a judge considers whether to hold him in criminal contempt of court.
Newsday says it was the first “complete and unqualified” apology by Michael Nifong.
The disbarred DA acknowledged there was “no credible evidence” that three former Duke lacrosse players committed rape. The court is weighing whether to hold Nifong in contempt for making false statements to the court in the prosecution.
Last month, Nifong angered the players after he said he still thinks “something happened” during the lacrosse party.
After Nifong’s latest display of contrition, lawyers for the players dropped their request for sanctions, except for the criminal contempt charge, the Los Angeles Times reports.
“We all need to heal,” Nifong said. “It is my hope we can start this process today.”