Consumer Law

Exploding courthouse toilet is blamed on recalled product


image

Image from Shutterstock.

A deputy county treasurer in Montana narrowly avoided injury on Tuesday when a courthouse toilet exploded.

The county official, Norma Brewer, said the explosion occurred at the Stillwater County courthouse just after she left the toilet stall and closed the door, the Billings Gazette reports. “That saved me,” she told the newspaper. “But it sounded like a huge bomb went off in this courthouse.”

The cause of the explosion was a “pressure assist system” that was the subject of a voluntary recall in 2012, Brewer said. The newspaper cited a news release by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission that said the system can burst and release stored pressure, “posing impact or laceration hazards to consumers and property damage.”

Previous:
Legal malpractice plaintiff can't sue for emotional distress, judge rules

Next:
Federal judge grants rare TRO banning city's 'fraudulent' bond sale; SEC sought the emergency order


We welcome your comments, but please adhere to our comment policy. Flag comment for moderator.

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.