- Hang Glider Allegedly Swallowed Memory Chip After Fatal Accident; Expert Says Device May Still Work
Hang Glider Allegedly Swallowed Memory Chip After Fatal Accident; Expert Says Device May Still Work
Posted May 4, 2012 4:02 PM CDT
By Martha Neil
A lawyer for a Canadian man accused of swallowing his camera's memory chip after a fatal hang gliding accident last week says the device has been recovered.
William Jonathan Orders, 50, is now scheduled for a Friday bail hearing in Chilliwack provincial court, where he is facing an obstruction of justice charge concerning his claimed ingestion of the potential evidence, CTV News reports.
An earlier bail hearing on Wednesday was postponed because the memory chip had not been produced.
Meanwhile, an expert told the network that the device likely would still contain salvageable data, even after spending some time in the digestive tract, an earlier CTV News article reports.
"These devices, which are solid state devices, they use a form of nonvolatile memory and are very stable," said David McKay of Blackstone Forensics. "They've been frozen, dropped in puddles and left for days, they've been submerged in water and it's been possible to pull information."