• Home
  • News
  • Katie Holmes Settles $50 Million Lawsuit with Tabloid Over Cover Story Hinting She Was a Drug Addict

Celebrities

Katie Holmes Settles $50 Million Lawsuit with Tabloid Over Cover Story Hinting She Was a Drug Addict

Posted Apr 28, 2011 2:23 PM CDT
By Intern

  • Print
  • Reprints
  • Share

Katie Holmes has resolved her $50 million defamation lawsuit centering on a Star magazine cover story conveying she was a drug addict.

Holmes filed the suit against American Media Inc., Star magazine’s publisher, after it ran a January cover story shouting “Katie DRUG SHOCKER!,” the Hollywood Reporter says. Star released a statement last month claiming it planned “to vigorously defend the suit filed by Ms. Holmes," but its publisher has since issued an apology in the tabloid’s May 9 issue. The Hollywood Reporter's Hollywood, Esq. blog and the Los Angeles Times’ Ministry of Gossip blog have stories.

American Media Inc. is also set to make a donation to the The Dizzy Feet Foundation, a charity Holmes co-founded that offers dance training to underprivileged children.

The 32-year-old actress accepted Star’s apology in a statement released Wednesday, the L.A. Times gossip blog reports. “With this dispute out of the way, I look forward to once again focusing my attention on my family and career," Holmes said.

A March ABAJournal.com post has additional details.

Comments

Add a Comment

We welcome your comments, but please adhere to our comment policy. Flag comment for moderator.