Tort Law

Lawsuit Claims Casino Let Man Drink Himself to Death

A federal lawsuit filed Wednesday claims a Mississippi casino served so much alcohol to a man taking powerful prescription painkillers that he collapsed and died on the floor of his hotel bathroom.

The suit filed against the IP Casino Resort and Spa in Biloxi, Miss., on behalf of Bryan Lee Glenn’s family, seeks $75 million in damages, the Associated Press reported.

The suit claims casino workers kept serving free drinks to the obviously inebriated 30-year-old man while he was staying at the resort in August 2009, despite pleas from his mother, brother and a friend to stop serving him. Glenn, who had taken an assortment of prescription painkillers in the weeks before his death for injuries he had suffered in a 2004 four-wheeler accident and a 2007 car wreck, was found dead in his hotel bathroom later that day.

“Despite their best efforts to save him from harm, Bryan was slowly poisoned while his friend and family … helplessly watched,” the suit says.

A spokeswoman for the casino said the company doesn’t comment on pending litigation.

We welcome your comments, but please adhere to our comment policy and the ABA Code of Conduct.

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.