• Home
  • News
  • More suspects at large in kidnapping of prosecutor’s dad, federal prosecutor says

Court Security

More suspects at large in kidnapping of prosecutor’s dad, federal prosecutor says

Posted Apr 15, 2014 4:25 PM CDT
By Martha Neil

  • Print
  • Reprints
  • Share

Five individuals facing charges, along with an imprisoned reputed gang leader, in the kidnapping of a North Carolina prosecutor's father will remain in custody, a federal judge in Atlanta ruled Tuesday.

The victim, Frank Arthur Janssen, 63, was rescued in Atlanta last week by an elite FBI team. Assistant U.S. Attorney Ryan Buchanan said during Tuesday's court hearing that "several other subjects ... are at large, and the investigation continues to learn the identifications and whereabouts of those individuals," reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Authorities say Janssen's kidnapping was in retaliation for his daughter's work as a Wake County, N.C., prosecutor on the case of Kevin Melton, who was sentenced to life without parole as a violent habitual offender. Melton, 49, is the accused mastermind of the abduction. He is charged with conspiracy to commit kidnapping; the other five defendants face kidnapping charges.

WTVD also has a story about the denial of bond for the five, who face potential life sentences if convicted.

See also:

ABAJournal.com: "Elite FBI team rescues prosecutor’s dad from kidnappers in Atlanta"

ABAJournal.com: "Imprisoned street gang leader used smuggled cellphone to plot kidnap of prosecutor’s dad, DOJ says"

Comments

Add a Comment

We welcome your comments, but please adhere to our comment policy. Flag comment for moderator.