• Home
  • News
  • Northwestern Accuses J-School Prof of Misleading Prosecutors re Innocence Project Work

Evidence

Northwestern Accuses J-School Prof of Misleading Prosecutors re Innocence Project Work

Posted Apr 6, 2011 6:39 PM CDT
By Martha Neil

  • Print
  • Reprints
  • Share

Ratcheting up a controversy that led to a popular journalism professor sitting on the sidelines rather than teaching at Northwestern University this spring, the school has just released a statement accusing former Medill Innocence Project Director David Protess of making false and misleading statements to Cook County prosecutors.

It isn't clear exactly what concerns led to the statement. However, it relates to documents subpoenaed in 2009 about Innocence Project work on convicted murderer Anthony McKinney's case, according to the Daily Northwestern.

The breaking Daily Northwestern news article doesn't include a link to the statement, which doesn't appear to have been posted on the university's website, or any comment from Protess. He has previously said he did nothing wrong.

The university issued a statement March 29 announcing that he would be on leave this spring.

Earlier coverage:

ABAJournal.com: "Prosecutor Says Student Wire Raises ‘Serious Legal & Ethical Questions’ in Innocence Probe"

ABAJournal.com: "Did Renowned Journalism Prof Known for Innocence Work Give Evidence Only to the Defense?"

Comments

Add a Comment

We welcome your comments, but please adhere to our comment policy. Flag comment for moderator.