Criminal Justice

Ohio kidnap victims release thank you video, plea for continued privacy


Three kidnap victims who made international headlines after their dramatic escape in May are speaking publicly for the first time via video.

The women—Amanda Berry, 27, Gina DeJesus, 23, and Michelle Knight, 32—offered thanks to supporters, both financial and emotional, and pleaded for continued privacy as they work to rebuild their lives.

“I may have been through hell and back, but I am strong enough to go through hell with a smile on my face, and with my head held high, and my feet firmly on the ground,” says Knight, who was the first of the three women taken captive. “I will not let the situation define who I am.”

Reuters, USA Today and the Associated Press have stories about the video.

The video, filmed last week, was released by the law firm managing a trust, which has amassed more than $1 million for the women.

“People are recognizing them now as they go about in public, so they decided to put voices and faces to their heartfelt messages,” Knight’s lawyer, Kathy Joseph, is quoted saying.

Ariel Castro is charged with abducting the women and with murder for causing multiple miscarriages. His next court date is July 24 in Cleveland.

Previous posts:

Man accused of keeping three women in his ‘torture chamber’ home pleads not guilty to 329 counts

$8M bond for Cleveland man facing kidnap, rape charges over the 3 women freed Monday

Police find three longtime missing women after frantic 911 call; case had former false starts

Previous:
NSA oversight flawed by lack of legal adversaries, former FISA judge says

Next:
Rare 3rd Amendment suit filed after family says police occupied their homes to watch neighbor


We welcome your comments, but please adhere to our comment policy. Flag comment for moderator.

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.