Pakistan Charges 8 in Mumbai Terror Attacks in November
Posted Feb 12, 2009 2:55 PM CST
By Martha Neil
In a significant step toward dismantling what the Indian government has described as the "infrastructure of terrorism in Pakistan," the government of Pakistan filed terrorism and cybercrime charges today against eight suspects. They are accused of helping 10 gunmen attack hotels and other targets in Mumbai in November, killing 165 people.
Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik says six of the eight suspects are in custody, reports Bloomberg. He did not specify the charges against them, or the potential penalties they face if convicted.
Both U.S. and Indian officials have pushed Pakistan to cooperate in India's investigation of the deadly attacks in its largest city last year, and Malik stressed in a press conference in Islamabad today that Pakistan is doing so, the news agency reports. "Our sincerity is pure, we have gone the extra mile,” Malik says.
Many foreign visitors were in areas targeted by the terrorists, including lawyers and their families.
Agence France-Presse: "India accuses Pakistan of delaying Mumbai probe"
New York Times: "Leaked Report Points to Larger Pakistani Role in Mumbai Attacks"
ABAJournal.com: "Reed Smith Partner With Relatives in Mumbai Turns to Firm Expert"
ABAJournal.com: "Stephenson Harwood Associate Dies in India Terrorist Attacks"