Product Liability Law

Parents Whose Son Died of Rare Bacteria Spot Recall Notice, Leading to Lawsuit Against Wipes Maker


Two-year-old Harrison Kothari seemed to be recovering well from surgery to remove a benign cyst near his brain and spinal cord.

But then he died suddenly at a Texas hospital late last year, of a rare infection, a day before he was supposed to be discharged, msnbc.com reported.

Staff of the Houston hospital couldn’t explain how he had contracted the Bacillus cereus bacteria that caused his acute meningitis; it would ordinarily be associated with food poisoning rather than a medical facility.

When a relative spotted a recall notice for alcohol prep wipes, however, his parents, Sandra and Shanoop Kothari, thought they had the answer. With the help of attorney Jim Purdue Jr., they confirmed that the hospital used that brand of wipes, did some testing and filed suit against the manufacturer of the wipes, Triad Group, in federal district court in Houston, the article recounts.

Representatives of Triad didn’t respond to msnbc.com’s requests for comment.

Previous:
Jailed Ex-Spouse, Accused in Lawyer's Kidnapping and Arson, Can Sue Fire Insurer, Appeals Court Says

Next:
Trial Date Set for Italy Prime Minister Berlusconi on Sex and Abuse of Power Charges


We welcome your comments, but please adhere to our comment policy. Flag comment for moderator.

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.