Posted Feb 11, 2013 04:45 pm CST
Vowing to end a “reign of terror” authorities blame on a former Los Angeles police officer allegedly taking revenge for being terminated from his job, the city’s mayor announced at a press conference on Sunday that a $1 million reward is being offered for information leaded to the arrest and conviction of of Christopher Jordan Dorner.
The 33-year-old is a suspect in the slayings of an engaged couple who were shot to death last week, and allegedly fired shots at three police officers in two separate incidents, killing one. The bodies of the slain couple, Monica Quan and Keith Lawrence, were found in a car in Irvine. She was the daughter of retired LAPD captain Randal K. Quan. Police said Dorner accused the captain, in a lengthy Facebook posting that has since been taken down, of not fairly representing him at an administrative hearing concerning his termination, according to the Los Angeles Times (reg. req.) and the Orange County Register.
Dorner was fired in 2008, after a police disciplinary board found that he had falsely accused his training officer of kicking a mentally ill man during an arrest, according to the New York Times (reg. req.).
KTLA provides a transcript of what authorities say was his Facebook manifesto.
Police Chief Charlie Beck credited his wife with the idea of offering the reward. He said Saturday that the department would reinvestigate Dorner’s firing to address concerns about claimed racism, the New York Times noted.
“I feel we need to also publicly address Dorner’s allegations regarding his termination,” he said. “I do this not to appease a murderer. I do it to reassure the public that their police department is transparent and fair in all the things we do.”