Son of dead shooter in Del. courthouse slayings gets six months for probation violation
Posted Apr 23, 2013 6:06 PM CDT
By Martha Neil
The son of a man who killed two women at a Delaware courthouse earlier this year as they arrived for a child-support hearing was sentenced Tuesday to two months in federal prison for violating his probation in a child-kidnapping and fraud case.
David Matusiewicz was also present at the Delaware courthouse on the day of the fatal shootings, having driven there with his father, but has not been charged with any involvement in the Feb. 11 slayings. His father, Thomas Matusiewicz, 68, killed himself after shooting to death his son's ex-wife, Christine Belford, 39, and a friend, Laura Mulford, 47.
At Tuesday's hearing, Chief U.S. District Court Judge Gregory Sleet also sentenced Matusiewicz to four years of supervised release and said he can't have any contact with his daughters during that time, the Associated Press reports.
A News Journal story says Matusiewicz, while on supervised release, will be required to wear a GPS device so that he can be monitored if he leaves south Texas.
One of the main issues in the probation violation case was that prosecutors say Matusiewicz knew his father—who was described by probation officers as "perpetually armed"—had firearms and hence should not have associated with him.
ABAJournal.com: "Courthouse shooter had prior run-ins with lawyers over family dispute"
ABAJournal.com: "Son of Del. courthouse shooter faces new probation violation charges related to ammo"