Top 10 family friendly law firms named; part-time work is option at every surveyed firm
Posted Apr 18, 2013 7:33 AM CDT
By Debra Cassens Weiss
Five law firms have kept their spots on this year’s list of the top 10 family law firms.
Yale Law Women published the list, which is based on its survey of family friendly policies and utilization among law firms in the Vault 100. The top 10, listed in alphabetical order, are:
• Arnold & Porter (also on the list in 2011 and 2012)
• Fulbright & Jaworski
• Goodwin Procter
• Hunton & Williams (also on last year’s list)
• Orrick, Herrington& Sutcliffe (also on last year’s list)
• Perkins Coie (also on the list in 2011 and 2012)
• Reed Smith (also on last year’s list)
• Shearman & Sterling
• Sidley Austin (also on the 2011 list)
• Squire Sanders
Highlights from the survey:
• One-third of participating firms offered on-ramp, off-ramp programs. Firms said the programs helped lawyers taking time off stay connected to the firm, offered pro bono and contract work to the lawyers, and eased their transition back to work.
• 93 percent of the firms offered on-site or backup child care, compared to just 70 percent last year. Several firms have expanded their emergency care programs to include adult and elder care.
• All participating firms offered part-time options, and a “vast majority” offered flex-time. A concurrent survey of alumni in the Vault 100 found that flex-time and part-time policies were the most important to lawyers when evaluating family friendliness.
• 78 percent of the firms offered at least 16 weeks of paid parental leave to primary caregivers.