Posted Jul 19, 2007 06:09 pm CDT
Although the gunman who killed 32 and injured dozens more in an on-campus massacre at Virginia Tech earlier this year committed suicide at the scene, it is still important to assign blame for the shootings, parents told a review panel appointed by the state governor.
Several parents said yesterday they were concerned that the panel would make recommendations for the future without focusing sufficiently on the issue of how the tragedy happened, reports the Associated Press.
“We expect this panel to come up with responsibility and accountability for the actions on April 16th and before,” said Dennis Bluhm, whose son Brian was shot to death by Seung-Hui Cho. “We are concerned that your panel will come up with some well-thought-out recommendations for the future, but not the reasons behind April 16th and the mistakes made over the years.”
Meanwhile, plans are being made to distribute $7 million in donations to surviving victims and the families of those murdered in the massacre. A tentative proposal calls for $150,000 payments for each person who died, $75,000 to those hospitalized 15 days or more, and $25,000 to those hospitalized for shorter periods. Those whose injuries were less serious would receive $8,000.