Yale Law Women Name Top 10 Family-Friendly Firms
Posted Aug 20, 2009 03:15 pm CDT
Yale Law Women and Working Mother magazine don’t agree on the top family-friendly law firms.
A top 10 list of family-friendly law firms released today by Yale Law Women includes four law firms that didn’t make a top 50 list of best law firms for moms published last week by Working Mother magazine.
The four law firms on Yale Law Women’s list that didn’t make Working Mother’s top 50 are: Arnold & Porter, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, Mayer Brown and Patton Boggs.
Here is the entire list by Yale Law Women, in alphabetical order:
Arnold & Porter
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Covington & Burling
Jenner & Block
Katten Muchin Rosenman
Munger, Tolles & Olson
Yale Law Women based its list on a survey of Vault’s top 100 law firms that included questions about percentages of female lawyers, access to and use of parental leave, emergency and on-site child care, availability and use of part-time and flex-time work policies, billable hours and compensation, and alternative career programs. Results were weighted based on a Yale alumni survey about the importance of each category of family-friendly practices.
Some key survey findings, based on the firms that responded to the survey:
• Average percentage of female associates: 45%
• Average percentage of female partners: 16%
• Average percentage of mothers who used the maximum parental leave offered: 92%
• Average percentage of fathers who used the maximum parental leave offered: 55%
• Percentage of firms that offer onsite childcare for regular use: 10%
• Percentage of firms offering a part-time option: 100%
• Average percentage of lawyers working part-time: 7%
• Percentage of firms offering flex-time work outside the office: 88%
• Percentage of firms offering formal “off-ramp / on-ramp programs,” allowing lawyers to leave the firm for a few years and return later: 25%