4th Man Pleads in O.J. Simpson Hotel Armed Robbery Case
A fourth co-defendant has taken a plea in the ongoing casino hotel armed robbery and kidnapping case against former football superstar O.J. Simpson, leaving only one other man besides Simpson still facing trial in Las Vegas next month.
Charles Ehrlich, 54, pleaded guilty today to reduced charges of attempted robbery and attempted accessory to robbery, reports the Associated Press. He has agreed to testify against Simpson at the former Hall of Famer’s scheduled trial Sept. 8. He could be sentenced to probation or as much as five years in prison.
Simpson and the other remaining defendant, Clarence “C.J.” Stewart, have pleaded not guilty on charges of kidnapping, armed robbery and assault with a deadly weapon. If convicted, they could face life imprisonment.
Simpson has previously said he was not carrying a gun and was simply retrieving his own sports memorabilia during the incident last year.
Saying that the case against Simpson is “weak and crumbling,” his lawyer, Yale Galanter, says the plea deal by Ehrlich isn’t what’s important. “The story is what he says in his sworn testimony,” Galanter tells AP. “If it’s truthful, it would support Mr. Simpson’s defense.”
Stewart’s lawyer and the prosecution declined to comment.
ABAJournal.com: “O.J.’s Cigar Bar Interview: Anybody Else Wouldn’t Be Tried”
ABAJournal.com: “O.J. Simpson Gets Bail, But Judge Doubles It to $250,000”
ABAJournal.com: “O.J. Will Go to Trial in Armed Robbery Case”
Updated at 4:04 p.m. to indicate Ehrlich could face up to five years in prison.