Alleged sex abuse victim of Dennis Hastert sues to enforce claimed $3.5M compensation contract
Federally Indicted last year on charges of structuring withdrawals of some $1.7 million from bank accounts to avoid federal reporting requirements and lying to the FBI, former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert pleaded guilty about five months later to one count in the Chicago case and is currently awaiting sentencing.
Now, in a related development, the man for whom Hastert allegedly was withdrawing the money has sued the onetime Illinois high school wrestling coach. In a breach of contract suit filed Monday in Kendall County Circuit Court, plaintiff “John Doe” says he has only received $1.7 million of the $3.5 million that Hastert orally agreed to pay him in compensation for sexual abuse when the plaintiff was a teenager.
The Chicago Sun Times and the Chicago Tribune (reg. req.) have stories. They don’t include any comment from the 74-year-old Hastert or his legal counsel, and the Sun Times says Hastert’s lawyers declined to comment.
Hastert’s sentencing in the structuring case is scheduled for Wednesday. He pleaded guilty in October to one structuring count.
Chicago Tribune (reg. req.): “Feds say there were 5 Hastert victims, offer other stunning details”
Chicago Tribune (reg. req.): ” More than 40 letters in support of Hastert made public before sentencing “