Happy lawyers do these things, expert says
A Duke University lecturer who teaches a course on lawyers and personal well-being says happy lawyers make choices that make them less miserable than their pessimistic counterparts.
Dan Bowling, who also teaches at the University of Pennsylvania, outlined six ways that lawyers can make the choice to be happy in a blog post for the Careerist. They are:
1) Look at the big picture. Happy lawyers have perspective and don’t obsess over every setback.
2) Lighten up and savor moments of laughter, which can enhance your mood and that of the people you interact with.
3) Learn optimism. Law school training can discourage optimistic thinking, translating to chronic pessimism that affects all parts of your life.
4) Stop multitasking, and spend some time focusing on friends and family.
5) Try physical activity to reduce stress and boost mood.
6) Develop positive relationships with others.