Consumer Law

Suit claims Mike and Ike box has too little candy and too much air

  • Print.

Mike and Ike

digitalreflections / Shutterstock, Inc.

A California woman claims in a lawsuit that the maker of Mike and Ike candies is misleading customers by filling nearly half the box with air rather than candy.

Stephanie Escobar says in her suit that she bought a box of Mike and Ike candy for $4 at a Los Angeles movie theater, and was surprised to find that only 54 percent of the box was filled with candy, TMZ and Money magazine report. The other 46 percent was “slack-fill,” meaning air, she alleged.

The suit claims candy maker Just Born Quality Confections is violating California’s false advertising law, unfair competition law and the consumer legal remedies act, according to the Money article.

Escobar’s lawyer, Ryan Clarkson, told Money that Escobar wants to change the way Just Born markets its candy and also wants a refund for product purchasers.

Just Born vice president Matt Pye promised a vigorous defense to the “baseless allegations.”

“Our products and labels comply with all FDA regulations and provide consumers with the information they need to make informed purchase decisions,” Pye said in a statement.

Give us feedback, share a story tip or update, or report an error.