Posted Jun 24, 2013 10:40 am CDT
Cities that are gaining the most lawyers in percentage terms are mostly in locations rich in oil or other energy reserves.
• Denver, with a 7.5 percent increase in lawyer headcount. Contributing to that growth was the 2012 merger of Bryan Cave with 150-lawyer Holme, Roberts & Owen, an energy-focused firm.
• Houston, with a 4.3 percent increase.
• Dallas, with a 3.1 percent increase.
• Miami, with a 3 percent increase.
• Pittsburgh, with a 3 percent increase. The state has “loads of shale work,” the Careerist notes.
At the international level, Beijing had an 11 percent gain in lawyers at U.S. firms’ foreign offices, and Hong Kong had a 5.6 percent gain.