Posted Oct 15, 2010 05:57 pm CDT
After initially determining, based on one woman’s report and the accused prosecutor’s response, that alleged sexual harassment by a then-Wisconsin district attorney wasn’t criminal, authorities have reopened their investigation into the job-related conduct of former Calumet County District Attorney Ken Kratz.
The new probe apparently focuses on new information that came out after news reports of the original accusations by Stephanie Van Groll, who received sexually suggestive text messages from Kratz while she was a witness in a domestic abuse case he was prosecuting against her ex-boyfriend, reports the Associated Press in a breaking news story.
At least three other women have now made similar accusations against Kratz, contending either that he sexually harassed them or, in one instance, that he invited the complainant to go to an autopsy with him on a date.
The article doesn’t include any comment from Kratz, who resigned last week, or his lawyer. However, they have minimized his comments in the past, saying that he did nothing criminal or unethical although he did use poor judgment concerning some of the comments he made.
Van Groll plans to file suit a civil suit against Kratz today in federal court in Milwaukee, according to the Appleton Post-Crescent.
ABAJournal.com: “‘I Am the Prize’ DA’s Self-Report to Bar Authorities Says Crime Victim Flirted with Him”
ABAJournal.com: “Wis. Disciplinary Group Reopens Probe of Embattled DA Now Accused by Multiple Women”
ABAJournal.com: “Embattled DA Accused of Sending Sexually Harassing Texts Will Resign, His Lawyer Says”