What are the biggest misconceptions people have about lawyers?
Image from Shutterstock.
Whether it’s the fault of TV shows and movies–or a simple lack of familiarity with how the legal system works–there seems to be a lot of confusion about the reality of what lawyers do, and what kinds of personalities lawyers have.
Sometimes this impacts the expectations clients have of their attorneys; sometimes it just makes for uncomfortable encounters at social events.
So this week we’d like to ask you: What are the biggest misconceptions people have about lawyers? Have these affected you in your work and personal life?
Answer in the comments.
Read the answers to last week’s question: What’s the most outlandish excuse you’ve heard someone give for being late to court?
Posted by Texas Lawyer: “I have never commented before but have to share these excuses that came from the same lawyer as her reasons for missing or being late to various hearings during a one year divorce case:
1. My father was buried in the wrong grave so I have to travel out of state to handle.
2. My grown daughter has H1N1 and I need to travel to the city where she lives to take care of her.
3. I have a detached retina.
4. My grown daughter has HPV. (This was actually in an affidavit in support of a motion for continuance)
5. My married lover 20 years younger than me gave me a booty call last night.
Yes, truth is stranger than fiction.”
Do you have an idea for a future question of the week? If so, contact us.