Products Liability

Woman sues over barbecue brush, seeks unspecified damages for surgery costs

  • Print.

A free barbecue brush that came with a new grill was no bargain, a Maine woman contends.

In a January lawsuit filed in Maine state court that has since been removed to federal court there, Deborah Lamont says the high-carbon steel brush was unreasonably dangerous. Her Aroostook County Superior Court complaint against the brush and grill makers alleges that a bristle broke off the brush, wound up in a mushroom burger and got stuck in Lamont’s esophagus when she ate the burger, requiring surgical removal.

“It is a known risk those bristles can break when used on a grill, and a grill is where people put food, and there is a foreseeable risk the bristles could get on the food,” her lawyer, James O’Connell of Berman & Simmons, told the Bangor Daily News.

The suit, which asserts claims for alleged negligence, product liability and breach of warranty, seeks unspecified damages for medical costs and lost wages.

A Monday court order (PDF) requires the party seeking removal to provide a duplicate court record to the federal court.

The newspaper article doesn’t include any comment from the defendants.

Give us feedback, share a story tip or update, or report an error.