ABA announces 2024 Spirit of Excellence Award recipients
The ABA Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Profession presents the annual Spirit of Excellence Awards. Image from Shutterstock.
Attorneys, military officers and judges who exemplify excellence in the legal profession will receive the 2024 Spirit of Excellence Award during the ABA Midyear Meeting in February, the ABA announced Thursday.
The ABA Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Profession presents the annual Spirit of Excellence Awards, which also celebrate lawyers who have excelled in their professional settings and demonstrated a commitment to racial and ethnic diversity in the legal profession.
An ABA press release is here.
The 2024 honorees are:
• Capt. Benes Z. Aldana, the first Asian Pacific American chief trial judge in the U.S. military.
• Col. Jose A. Cora, an attorney in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps, who has helped advance and develop Hispanic and Latino judge advocates.
• Judge Dolly Gee, the first Chinese American woman to be nominated and confirmed as an Article III federal judge.
• Sara Hill, the former attorney general of the Cherokee Nation, who recently was nominated to serve on the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma.
• Juan R. Thomas, of counsel to Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer and founder and principal of the Thomas Law Group, who is listed as one of the top 100 national Black trial lawyers.
The 2024 Spirit of Excellence Awards ceremony is scheduled for Feb. 3. The 2024 ABA Midyear Meeting will be Jan. 31 to Feb. 5 in Louisville, Kentucky.